[Sosfbay-discuss] Letter to the Editor of the Milpitas Post

Rob Means rob.means at electric-bikes.com
Thu Feb 11 09:00:22 PST 2010

Party of "NO"

Did Republican delays of health care reform help kill 8 Milpitas
residents in the past six months?  President Obama publicly stated his
plan to pass a bill through Congress by the end of August.
Unfortunately, Republicans are still stalling the process with
procedural maneuvers and filibusters.  During that time, approximately
23,000 people died due to lack of health care insurance - more than the
roughly 20,000 people who died in motor vehicle crashes.  So, whenever
the Post reports a Milpitas auto death, also think about the death of
someone without health care.

Folks who are tight financially - and who isn't these days? - tend to
put off visiting the doctor when something is wrong with their bodies.
All too often, that delay leads to worse problems and death.  If
Milpitas gets its full share of those extra deaths, we lost 8 neighbors
over the last six months.

Back in July 2009, Republican strategy and objective were succinctly
stated by South Carolina Senator Jim Demint: "If we're able to stop
Obama on this, it will be his Waterloo. It will break him."  Republicans
are seen as obstructionists, as the Party of "NO", because they worked
to earn the labels.

I believe that most registered Republicans in Milpitas and across the
country would reject a strategy to "break" the President.  So, isn't it
time for some of my fellow residents who are truly conservative to
publicly repudiate the strategy and tactics of the Congressional
Republicans?  As we have heard, "All that is necessary for evil to
triumph is for good men to do nothing."  So far, evil seems to be
winning.

Rob Means
1421 Yellowstone Avenue
Milpitas, CA  95035-6913