[Sosfbay-discuss] Meet Nachum Shifren, Republican Candidate for SD 26 in Los Angeles

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Thu Feb 18 15:23:08 PST 2010

 My Dear Green Friends,

You don't have to go to the other side of the world to find outright fascists.

I live in a predominantly African-American neighborhood close toWindsor Hills in California's 26th State Senate District.  My districtincludes these communities:

Part of the City of Los Angeles, all of Culver City and the communitiesof Baldwin Hills, Baldwin Vista, Beverlywood, Carthay Circle, CenturyCity, the Crenshaw District, Hancock Park, Hollywood, Hyde Park,Jefferson Park, Ladera Heights, Lafayette Square, Larchmont, LeimertPark, Los Feliz, Miracle Mile, South Central Los Angeles, View Park,West Los Angeles and Windsor Hills, among others.

I know Paul and Yael, the leaders of our local group, the Committee to End Israeli Apartheid, live in my district in Culver City, because Ifirst met them while collecting signatures from registered Greens formy campaign in the special election last spring.

Now, dear friends, Meet Nachum Shifren, Republican Candidate for SD 26:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Posted on www.loonwatch.com.

Rabbi Nachum Shifren is a West Bank Settler, a teacher in the Los Angeles educational system and a surfer.

"...he opted to reside in Kfar Tapuah, a West Bank settlement perched ahalf-hour from the 'lousy' Mediterranean surf. Kfar Tapuah isconsidered an extremely militant, right-wing, anti-governmentstronghold. 'I’d compare its residents to white militants in the UnitedStates,' says Hagit Yaari, an Israeli spokesperson for Americans forPeace."

Kfar Tapuah is the settlement where Israeli police recently arrested anremorseless extremist Jewish settler who was killing Palestinians. NowRabbi Shifren is running to be a State Senator in California and whathe is saying doesn’t reflect the peaceful rhythms of the Ocean butinstead reflects a hateful ideologue filled with bigotry against Islam.I haven’t investigated his past statements thoroughly but there is noneed to waste time to find his views, his most recent article sums itup quite directly.

Shifren writes on a recent student protest at UC Irvine where 11students were arrested for protesting the visit of Israel’s Ambassadorto America, Michael Oren on the grounds that he represents a governmentwhich perpetrates “war crimes, violates international law, andsubjugates and oppresses Palestinians.” Shifren believes that they willget off too lightly and he wants them jailed and expelled from theuniversity.

In an article he penned, "Cal. Senatorial Candidate Responds to Muslim Hooliganism" (http://www.newswithviews.com/Shifren/nachum108.htm),Rabbi Shifren writes that the protesters weren’t just "rude, anddisrespectful students" but they "are the front line of an army ofMuslims that is waiting patiently to take over and subvert our country."

These students weren’t just protesters but according to Rabbi Shifrenare "Muslim terrorists-in-training," who are "breeding" like crazy onour university campuses. . .

ORIGINAL URL:  http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/02/rabbi-nachum-shifren-rides-the-wave-of-islamophobia/

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I am not making this up (you can't make this stuff up).  Check out Mr. Shifren's official web site:

http://www.rabbiforsenate.com/

On there he has posted an essay titled:

Multiculturalism Will Bring Us Our Next 9-11

". . .Since the 60's, our schools have been not only dumbed down, but as a result, we have become a "nation at risk." . . .

You'd never know it as you romp through the hallways of our schools. It's business as usual as our "teachers' churn out texts and agendas that bash America, Whites, Christians, and anything that smacks of the uniqueness of America, hard work, delayed gratification, honor to our military, sanctity of marriage, accentuating the accomplishments of the individual and rewarding such.

. . .

 We have a president whose disdain for America is not lost on our students. Before Obama, it was hard to tell a class why we had to say the pledge of allegiance. And now? Hatred and contempt for America grows daily in our schools. There is one area where solidarity and signs of support grows daily, however. Gays, lesbians, cross-dressers, and other deviates are in full swing, with gay-day parades AT TAXPAYERS' EXPENSE. "Jim and John" books are read to our kindergarten students to glorify and desensitize homosexual stigmas. There is not one high school in Southern California that doesn't have a Gay Student Union, with an enthusiastic list of sponsors. The balkanization and blurring of American unity is in full swing with Latino Club, African American Club, Japanese Club, Korean Club; one club YOU WON'T SEE IS WHITE, CHRISTIAN AMERICA CLUB. . ."

On the front page of his web site, Mr. Shifren claims he has been endorsed by U.S. Congressmen Dana Rohrabacher and Tom McClintock, L.A. County Supervisor Mike Antonovich, and State Assemblyman Chuck DeVore.

Mind you, this is the same Establishment crowd that says independent Greens, Libertarians, Peace & Freedom Party members, or tea-baggers simply beyond the pale and that I should not be fooling around with the Green Party because if I have a grievance with the Democrats I have the "choice" of voting for this guy to represent my family in the California state legislature.

* * *

Many times I have said that if we want to change the world, we must notneglect taking care of business here.  Don't worry. Mr. Shifren willnot be elected a state senator.  He'll probably get the usual 10% ofthe vote for Republicans in my neighborhood.

But even so, think about it.  Just by being the Republican Partycandidate for a prominent office, this sick wingnut will get a seat atthe candidate debates; be interviewed on radio; and get quoted in theLos Angeles Times.  In other words, his "message" will probably beheard by many more people than the few hundred that read this e-list.

The view of Chemerinsky and Shifren that the UCI 11 protests was somekind of horrible terrorist crime is sheer nonsense.  The FirstAmendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees freedom of the press,freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, and the right to peacefullypetition the government.  To be sure, it is not an absolute right.  Youcannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater. You cannot physically assaultsomebody and call it "speech."  If you get up and heckle somebody in apublic meeting, you are within your rights.  Yes, they can throw youout of the meeting because they, too, have the right to freelyassemble.  But heckling the bastard is still within your rights.

Unfortunately, my fellow Americans have a bad habit of forgetting the"freedom" we supposedly hold so dear.  That's why local people mustcounter fascist creeps like Nachum Shifren.

Alex Walker
Los Angeles Greens