[GPSCC-chat] Comments sent to GIWG re Pending Ballot Measures Plenary Agenda Item

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Sun Feb 28 15:29:09 PST 2010

February  28. 2010
To:  Hally DiCarion, Green Issues Working  Group Co-Coordinator;   Bert
Heuer. GIWG  Co-Coordinator;  Wes Rolley; Will Yeager
From:  Warner Bloomberg  wb4d23 at aol.com
Subject:  Santa Clara County GP Activists Comments  re GIWG Plenary Agenda
Item ”Pending Ballot Measures”
The  Santa Clara County Green Party uses a meeting of Plenary delegates and
 alternates and other interested GPSCC members to review Agenda Packet
items and  consense, where possible, on recommendations to take to a general
membership  meeting, where positions and instructions are made.  The review
group met last Sunday  (February 21, 2010) and consensed on the following
regarding the GIWG Pending  Ballot Measures proposal.
We  do not think that these items should be considered as a single agenda
item.  Each ballot measure or possible ballot  proposal should be considered
separately.
The  first two on the list have qualified for the June Ballot and are part
of current  County Polling and will be dealt with either by County Polling
or as part of the  March Plenary Agenda, so they should be withdrawn from the
 list.
In  general, the descriptions of the ballot measures are all inadequate.
Many of them do not in any way describe  what the measure, if enacted, would
do.  Those descriptions should have been part of the proposal in the Agenda
Packet.  Reference to a website is  not an adequate substitute.
We  have concerns that our time and energies are being taken up with
matters that  may not receive enough signatures to be put before the voters.  We
also do not like the idea of a  tentative or advisory position.  Either the
GPCA should take a position on a matter or not.  Again, because the proposal
suggests any  number of decisions might not be the final say, we feel this
is an unfair  misdirection of our time and energies to have to take a
position on all of these  different items.
We  do affirm the concept of trying to establish earlier-rather-than-later
GPCA  positions on items where there is, or should be, a clear GPCA
position.  Therefore, we suggest that the GIWG  modify its proposal to prioritize
the items on the list and take them in order  to the extent that time is
allowed on the agenda March 7th to obtain  GPCA positions.  In particular, we
would support the Marijuana Legislation item {because it appears enough
signatures have been collected so that it will appear on the November 2010
ballot) and the New Prop 187 item (because the GPCA has twice taken positions
opposing similar initiatives).  Our  concerns remain as to the other items on
the GIWG list.
These  will be our recommendations to the GPSCC general meeting scheduled
for  Wednesday, March 3rd.  This information is being sent to you to consider
in connection with how  the GIWG will or will not modify its  proposal.