[Sosfbay-discuss] Laura Wells, Green Party Governor candidate: Candidacy Announcement and Invitation

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 13 00:50:51 PST 2010

**** From Laura Wells for Governor ****

Dear Greens,

Many of you will probably remember having supported me in the past, and
specifically when I was your candidate for State Controller in 2002 and
2006.  Some of you may also remember that in my November, 2002 Green
Party campaign, I achieved the most votes and the highest percentage
ever recorded for any statewide partisan California Green Party candidate.

Much change has taken place across our state, and beyond, since those
two previous times when I was your candidate for State Controller.  In
particular, we are now in the midst of the worse financial crisis since
the Great Depression that started over 80 years ago.  One result of
these current economic troubles is that support for the two "status quo"
political parties has now fallen to a very low level.

Now, more than ever before, voters are open to ideas coming from outside
of those two political parties which have presided over our state and
nation during the past several years, as the present economic crisis has
unfolded.  Therefore, we Greens now have an unprecedented opportunity
this coming year to help build our party, to communicate our ideas, and
to influence the political, economic, and overall direction of society
towards a more just, sustainable, and Greener world.

Now is the time for Greens to act!  Based on my two previous runs for
statewide office, I was asked late last year by Greens from across the
state to this year run for Governor of California.  I am quite honored
to have received this invitation, and today, Tuesday, January 12, I have
decided to formally declare my candidacy for the office of Governor,
with my official announcement taking place today at the State Capitol in
Sacramento.

I sincerely believe that the Green Party now has bigger opportunities
than we've had since our party was first founded in the early 1990's.
Therefore, I hope that you will seriously consider supporting our work,
as soon as you possibly can.  I believe that if my campaign for Governor
is able to make a strong start over the next few months, then the
possibilities for the rest of this year could well be essentially limitless!

If you would like more information, or to support my campaign, please
see my website at:  www.laurawells.org <http://www.laurawells.org/>, or
you can contact me at  info at laurawells.org, or (510) 225-4005, or Laura
Wells for Governor, P.O. Box 10727, Oakland, CA 94610.

Our state, our nation, and our planet are in crisis.  Given the
unprecedented political opportunities which we Greens now have, how can
we not act on those opportunities?  How can we not act, to now put
forward real solutions that the two status-quo parties dare not mention,
for fear of losing their fat-cat corporate sponsors?

Let us join together now in this rare, great moment of opportunity.  I
sincerely hope that we can keep in touch -- I look forward to hearing
from you at your earliest possible convenience.

For a Green California, and a Green planet,

Laura Wells

Candidate for Governor

Green Party of California

P.O. Box 10727

Oakland, CA 94610

United States

Paid for by Laura Wells for Governor, FPPC # pending