[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: Fwd: Why Do You Need Net Neutrality?

Seth Alan Woolley seth at swoolley.homeip.net
Fri Jul 16 13:15:09 PDT 2010

Cameron,

The distinction here is one of legitimate vs non-legitimate traffic.

Neutrality of all legal traffic is what is proposed.

Illegal traffic is still illegal.  That international law is not robust
enough to block spam (and Cayman phone fraud) is tragic but not fixed
by blocking it except under the direction of the end user, who is free
to make choices about what content to see and not see.  Spam is the cost of
communication.  Spam is everywhere if you are in a public forum.  People
have a chance to portray their message freely and you can choose to
accept it or not.  We have to deliberate on what communications we want
to restrict for everybody carefully and provide a decentralized (power)
way of doing it.  For example, people may be asked to sign up to
parental filters, but the ISP shouldn't consider it an extra cost to
_not_ have one.  In the same vein, ISPs shouldn't consider it an extra
cost to deliver traffic to a competitor of theirs or provide cheaper
service to only approved (paid) endpoints.  That is the crux of net
neutrality, and scaring people into thinking they will get swindled (or
killed) if the state doesn't protect them is part of what the right
loves to joke about while at the same time adoring (those scary
terrorists!).  Opposition to Net Neutrality is very similar in my mind.

For example, IRC is a rather spam-heavy protocol, but some networks have
server-side ignoring implemented that is controlled by each client.
Many DDoS protection companies use upstream connection management to
handle attacks in a similar fashion.

The Internet does route around damage on its own because it is
decentralized and centralized only at client request.  Net Neutrality
ensures it remains so.

Ridiculing others for not having an informed opinion isn't going to
support your point.  If Microsoft abuses his email in a way he doesn't
approve, he will stop using them on his own.

I see a lot of "tech savvy" people using gmail instead of hotmail, but
the fact of the matter is that gmail is the worst privacy invader of
them all.  They introduced the idea of "we'll scan your email and figure
out a demographic match by computer and deliver ads to you".

They also never make data openness a priority.  Never.  Google is the
tivoization of otherwise public data.

Seth