[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: [ppjc] Urgent Action: War Funding Vote on Wednesday

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 19:58:12 PDT 2010

I wouldn't ask Anna Eshoo for a glass of water if my eyebrows were on fire.

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:39:56 -0700
From: gerrygras at earthlink.net
To: sosfbay-discuss at cagreens.org
Subject: [GPSCC-chat] Fwd: [ppjc] Urgent Action: War Funding Vote on	Wednesday

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
To: gerrygras at earthlink.net
From: ppjc at peaceandjustice.org
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:11:37 -0500

    If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may
    see it online.

 Share This:

      Peninsula Peace and Justice Center

www.PeaceandJustice.org

Urgent Action Alert

House Set to Vote on Afghan War Funds on Wednesday

National Congressional Call In Days

Toll Free Congressional Switchboard

1-888-493-5443

The House of Representatives will vote on Wednesday on $33 billion to pay for escalation of the Afghanistan war and occupation. If the funding is passed, it will bring the total amount appropriated for the Afghanistan and Iraq wars to over one trillion dollars to date. And there's still no end in sight.

National Congressional Call In Days: Peninsula Peace and Justice Center is joining with anti-war groups from around the country to call on activists to flood Washington with phone calls and email over the next several days about the impending vote.

A straightforward vote this time? When the House last voted on the escalation funding in early July, it never took a direct vote on the war money. Instead, they voted on various amendments that added money for teachers, disaster relief, and other unrelated appropriations. When one of those amendments passed, the war funding was “deemed” to have been passed.

But the Senate rejected the House version, so the House will now be voting on the Senate-passed version. The Senate measure is limited chiefly to war funding, foreign aid, medical care for Vietnam War veterans exposed to Agent Orange, and replenishing almost empty disaster aid accounts.

Although the House is expected to pass the bill with mostly Republican votes, a large no vote will be an important step in signaling falling support for the escalation strategy.

Please call or email your Representative today.

Toll Free Congressional Switchboard

1-888-493-5443

(See below for your Rep's direct phone number or email contact info)

Share this alert with your friends! Just click on one of the handy "Share this!" icons at the top of this alert to easily send it to friends via email or to post it to your Facebook or Twitter account.

Rep. Anna Eshoo

(650) 323-2984 or (408) 245-2339 or (831) 335-2020

Click here for website email form

Rep. Jackie Speier

(650) 342-0300

Click here for website email form

Rep. Mike Honda

(408) 558-8085

Click here for website email form

Rep. Zoe Lofgren

(408) 271-8700

Click here for website email form

Not sure who your Representative is? Click here.

If you care to let us know that you took action, we sure would appreciate it. Just drop us a quick line at action at peaceandjustice.org  Thank you for caring enough to take a few moments to contact Congress. It is important.

Support our work by making a donation today.  We depend on your support!

Peninsula Peace and Justice Center

Your local peace and justice movement.

625 Hamilton Avenue  | Palo Alto, CA 94301 US

This email was sent to gerrygras at earthlink.net. To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your

address book or safe list.

manage your preferences | opt out using TrueRemove™

EmailNow powered by Emma

The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail.  Get busy.