[GPSCC-chat] Sub Zero in San Jose & Tian's Graphic Expertise...

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Jun 16 15:30:12 PDT 2010

Hi, Cameron, et al.:

       How can I find the public Wiki you mentioned?

       I don't see the need to control too tightly the access to a Green
Wiki.  As long as we designate honestly Green editors for our Green
Wiki, I don't think we are likely to seriously lose control of content.
If Libertarians or Tea Party people add content to our Wiki, we split
the page in half and provide a contrasting perspective on the left with
their perspective on the right.  If our perspective is better
researched, I think that will show, and we will attract readers, some of
whom will become new members.  If our position is not better researched,
then we either need to decide if our lack of research is due to lack of
resources or that the evidence is against us.  If the evidence is
against us, we need to change.  If we don't have the resources to manage
all the contributions, that's another problem.  However, the success of
Wikipedia suggests that we will attract enough positive contributions
that we'll be ahead on the average.  The issues where Libertarians or
Tea Party people or Newscorp overwhelm us will be a small price to pay
for opening something that actually attracts attention!

       The biggest problem we have right now is that we are
marginalized.  If we open a Green Wiki to everyone, and it dies, we
won't have lost much.  If Newscorp tries to take it over, we can try to
control it through our powers as editors -- and if that fails, we shut
it down.  If we find a way to get it to grow more sensibly, I think it
will attract contributions from people who might not think about us
otherwise, and many of those will join us.

       I'm concerned that one of the reasons we are not growing may be
that we've tried to control too much in the past.  I'm thinking
specifically of the Green opposition to an open primary (not counting
Prop 14):  What evidence is there that allowing others to vote in the
Green primary would actually be bad for the Green party?  I've seen the
hypothetical argument for that.  However, there is also the reality that
my wife registered Democrat so she could vote in the Democratic
primary.  I suspect she's not the only one, and I suspect we may have
lost more than we've gained by that position.  With Prop 14, this may be
moot now.  However, I'd like to know if this decision was made on
evidence or on "data independent thinking" (i.e., logic based on
possibly faulty premises).

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer