[GPSCC-chat] agenda for April meeting/Berryessa AW Festival Issues

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Tue Mar 23 16:40:03 PDT 2010

Folks:  I think we need to put 10 minutes on the April  GPSCC meeting
agenda to discuss tabling at the Berryessa Arts and Wine  Festival (Saturday May
8th -- day before Mother's Day).  I do affirm that  we should have a table
at the festival -- as we have since  2002 when I was
a candidate for State Assembly.  It  is a great family friendly event and
a chance for visibility about our ballot issues and  candidats.  But I want
us to be clear among ourselves about a few  things.  One:  We need to
clarify if there is a fee and hopefully  agree to authorize its payment.

Second, we need a firm list of volunteers for setup, staffing  and take
down.  I have been staying the whole day the last two years (and  others) and
each time I have ended up with heat exhaustion or heat stroke or  both.  I
can't do it any more.  I can help with some of the day, but  not all of it.

Third, in the last two years we have had a problem with  closing up
"early".  The event is publicized to run until 5 pm and the  organizers don't want
the nonprofit area canopies, etc. shutting down because  they are located in
a very public area that can be viewed by traffic on  Berryessa Road.
...Even though the event pretty much winds down by 4 pm as  far as walking
traffic in that area.  ...Even though various npos do close  down at 4 pm or
beforehand.   In the last two years we have gotten  complaints from event reps,
and last year it escalated into a shouting match and  insults.  We need to
make sure this is avoided again, and so that means the  closers for the day
need to commit to stay until the "end".

So we need to discuss these issues at the  meeting.

Warner