[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: Prop 14 (Top Two) forum in Santa Clara on Tuesday, Marc...

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 23 18:52:19 PDT 2010

Can you be more specific about the general / runoff system
you refer to?

I know a little bit about systems in other countries, but
I have not heard of any runoff part.

What I do know is that some countries have some kind of
proportional representation system.  In those cases, as
long as a party gets more than some minimum threshold,
2%? 5%?, then the party gets seats in proportion to the
percentage.  So the threshold to get some power is small,
which does encourage "third parties", (I don't know if
they are called "third parties").

I lived in Germany for a year, and a general election
happened during that time.  There were 5 parties, CDU,
SDP, die Grune, and two others.  One of the others
usually aligned itself with the CDU, the other usually
aligned itself with the SDP.  Die Grune often got between
5 and 10%.  To the best of my knowledge, the best that
die Grune got was around 10%.  And at least once it was
part of the coalition government, and the foreign
minister was Grune (Green).

Gerry