[GPSCC-chat] MINUTES - MAY 5, 2010 GREEN PARTY General Meeting

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Tue May 18 08:49:47 PDT 2010

MINUTES – May 5th 2010
SCC General Meeting — San Jose Peace and Justice Bldg

Present: Spencer, Cameron, Andrea, Warner, Tom, Tian, Dana, Fred, Roy Nordblom, Merriam, Brian

Facilitator - Warner
Notetaker - Andrea
Vibes Watcher – group
Time Keeper - Tom

Announcements: Tom's birthday on Saturday, celebration @ 7 Bamboo.

Treasurer : Income and outgo from the San Jose plenary since last month's total resulted in “a wash.” Andrea has an outstanding receipt for food purchased—to be submitted.

Spencer: Will report to Libertarian candidate Ed Gonzalez that SCC Green Party declines to endorse his candidacy. It was suggested that Greens refrain in general from endorsing any candidates other than Greens.

Tabling: Caroline asked for help with setting up and tear down of the green canopy at the Berryessa Art and Wine Festival on May 8th. Spencer provided the list of people who volunteered at the last meeting. Andrea also volunteered to be there to help set up.
Other “opportunities” to table were: May 9th (Mother's Day), May 29-31 (Memorial Day Weekend), and June 19-20th (Juneteenth). We need a person to head up Juneteenth, traditionally one of our important events.

Green Focus: Green Party state-wide candidates issue is being edited and is expected to be available at the printer in San Francisco in two days. Andrea volunteered to pick up two bundles (200 papers) for Berryessa tabling, if completed in time. A discussion of new literature followed.

“No on 14” bookmarks: Spencer brought the finished bookmarks. Although it was suggested that he increased the size of the graphic, they were turned over to the Berryessa committee to use for Berryessa. Also to be taken will be the new trifold “No on 14” specifically designed by Dale Warner for Berryessa. New visitor Roy N requested a supply of our new literature to take door-to-door with other election materials; Tian will help supply him from the suitcase going to Berryessa.
Tian has No on 14 buttons. Jim will put the needed artwork up on our state site.

LWV leafletting possibilities: need people for various places to give out No on 14 and other literature.
Dates are per Jim D: May 8th , 11th, 13th at two locations, 18th.

Food for Thought scheduled for May 22nd: Merriam has location now— First Christian Church, cost will be $250; menu, chili; will ask for $10-20; discussion resulted in favorable consensus to pay for this event. Tian will do the final flyers in time for Berryessa. Spencer drafted and brought the information for F4Thought; also available are Spencer's abusive banking flyers, prop 14, prop 15; Nancy Neff will be there-also possibly Sally Lieber. Event was announced at MoveOn and had 8-9 signed up with Merriam to come. Tom will create a Facebook page for us and include the F4Thought event. Speaker, Jim S, will speak on “No on 14.” Spencer has his handout for his talk on abusive banking.

Tabling reports: Tian related what happened at SClaraU, SJoseSU, Jr State (JSA), and mentioned that Gaylord Nelson graduated from SJS. (Collections are included in Treasurer's Report above.)

Regional Rep: Jim S reminded us that Cindy is resigning as Regional Rep; he wants us to get a replacement as he is not available to carry on; this is and has been a difficult position to recruit and to get someone who can carry this position.

IRV: Jim S said that Steve Chessen lives in Mtn View and is the resource for IRV; Mtn View may get hit w/ implementation costs if they push this, but S Jose is almost half of SClara County and if they approve this, the rest of the county can't say no. Discussion ensued:

Jim S: New Amer Fdn – Blair Boubier in SJ and Steve in Mtn; Election Committee was asked to look at it, but disinterested; however a few council members interested; the pros are facing an anti: Terry Rightly is a career buearocrat; committee mtg is end of this month; decision is needed from Greens and Libs: letter from county council needs to be signed and sent by a rep of the council. Jim S volunteered to sign and send. We need to educate the public, per Jim S. Spencer would like to see a script for those who want to write a personal letter. Vote resulted in consensus on having Jim S write the letter for the county council. Andrea asked for a vote by the council.
Follow up email by Jim S included here:

At last Wednesday's meeting I asked the GPSCC to sign a letter to the
San Jose Elections Commission re-affirming our support of IRV, as
requested by Blair Bobier (New America). That letter is attached for
Council review as requested by Andrea.

The context is that the commission held an IRV study session a couple
weeks ago and is close to making their recommendation to the City
Council. The wording of the letter is specifically drafted to relate to
the issues and questions that came up during the study session.

Immigration: Fred asked if GP has a plank? This was confirmed by Tian, who carries an old copy of our GP planks.

Downtown Hospital: per Jim S, issues are down to zoning “overlay” which is located somewhere along Santa Clara Street.

HP color Printer: Cameron says it's 10 years old; replacing toner will cost just about what a new modern printer will cost. Tom says even if not worth fixing, he can get discounts on toner, etc. Brian says that toner from HP may cost $200, at Office Depot $100, he can get it on Ebay for $25.

Andrea asked about voter registration deadline dates to tell voters at Berryessa; it was suggested that although it is probably 2 weeks before Primary, we should (to be sure) check w/ ROVoters before telling prospective GP joiners.

Cash from passing the hat: $57.00.
Next meeting will be June 2nd, 7:30 PM
Agenda will be by Jim D