[GPSCC-chat] campaign to block privatisation of waste water treatment in Novato

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu May 20 08:27:19 PDT 2010

On 5/19/2010 12:39 PM, Caroline Yacoub wrote:
> Thanks Gerry, for looking into this issue. I have another question:
> why should the Marin (or Solano) board of supes give a good gosh-darn
> what the Green Party of Santa Clara County thinks? In other words,
> what earthly use is our endorsement? I could see a point in getting
> into the Palo Alto thing. But Marin? Maybe they just don't have any
> north bay Greens who want to do phone banking or leafletting.
>
> --- On *Wed, 5/19/10, Gerry Gras /<gerrygras at earthlink.net>/* wrote:

There is a lot of mis-conception about this issue.

To begin with, Joe Feller has been very active in a number of local
governance questions... especially in fighting big box retailers like
Walmart.  His involvement in the Marin County Waste Treatment question
is just an extension.  Both dovetail with his Green Party work, but most
of this is not done from the viewpoint of being an official GP
representative... where he also the CC Regional Rep.

And, there are a number of organized Greens in Marin... e.g. more than
half of the Fairfax City Council as well as Marnie Glickman - Gary
Ruskin from Green Change.  I am sure that Marnie is very much on board
with this, though spending most of her time on the GPUS Platform
revision coming up at the Annual National Meeting.

A significant portion of Marin County, including Novato, is represented
by Jared Huffman in the Assembly.  Huffman was one of the architects of
the Water legislation that passed last fall.  He worked for years as a
lawyer for the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and served on
the board of the Marin County Water District.  All of which gave him the
typical insider, political game player mentality that says he knows best
and does not have to listen to anyone.  Once in a while, he is right.
Since the Novato Democratic Club sponsored the kick-off event for the
campaign against privatization, I would assume the he is against it, but
can not quickly find a reference that says so.  This just underscores
the manner in which things work in Marin.  The Marin Peace and Justice
Coalition was also a sponsor of the kickoff.

As to the question of what good an endorsement from non-Marin Greens
might have, it would be better to put the question to Joe directly
rather than to make conjectures about what might be needed.

I will also note that Marnie Glickman attributed Pam's win for Fairfax
City Council partially on the ability of Greens in Marin to do phone
banking.  It also helped find some new resources for the party.

That being the case, I would suggest that we do volunteer to
participate, especially to do phone banking... and to ask Feller for a
good script.  That can be done from here... and, if run as efficiently
as the one in Fairfax, we might learn to make it a habit.