[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Prop 16 is bad for clean energy

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Fri May 21 20:02:53 PDT 2010

--- On Fri, 5/21/10, shane que hee <squehee at ucla.edu> wrote:

From: shane que hee <squehee at ucla.edu>
Subject: Prop 16 is bad for clean energy
Date: Friday, May 21, 2010, 8:01 PM

From: "Dan Jacobson, Environment California Legislative Director" <action at environmentcalifornia.org>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 15:54:45 -0600

Hi friends,

As you cast your vote in this June's election, I think you should vote "No" on Proposition 16.

Prop. 16 is a ballot initiative almost entirely funded by Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) [1] that would place an unnecessarily high burden on communities wishing to set up their own local utility services.

It's a blatant attempt by the state's largest utility to squash competition from municipally-owned utilities by setting up a very high barrier to switch out of PG&E's services -- a two-thirds popular vote.

I'm concerned about this because local utility services are more likely to invest in greener energy. Our vision is for California to be powered 100 percent by clean, renewable energy. PG&E and our local, municipally-owned utilities need to be a part of making this vision a reality.

Instead of trying to squash competition through this ill-conceived ballot measure, PG&E should focus on making it easier for you and me to put solar panels on our roofs or on building more wind farms. With less than 20 percent of our electricity coming from renewable resources, we have a long way to go to achieve our vision.

On June 8, let's tell PG&E to get back to work on the important stuff: building a clean energy future for California.

Please vote NO on Prop 16. Click here for more information on our No on Prop 16 position.

http://www.environmentcalifornia.org/newsroom/energy/energy-program-news/environment-california-opposes-pges-proposition-16

Remember to vote on June 8. Thanks for all you do,

Dan Jacobson
Environment California Legislative Director
http://www.EnvironmentCalifornia.org

1. http://cal-access.ss.ca.gov/Campaign/Committees/Detail.aspx?id=1318623&session=2009&view=received

Donate today. A cleaner, greener future is within our reach. Your donation today can help us bring the vision we share a little closer to reality.