[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: Prop 15 PreElection Event

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun May 30 10:43:35 PDT 2010

Hi, Fred, et al.:

	  Attached please find an expanded discussion of the "Four Puppet"
model of politics I mentioned in my May 22 discussion of banks.  I wrote
this believing that it might be useful to Nancy Neff, Sally Lieber, and
others working on Prop 15.

	  Might someone be able to forward it to them?  I just sent it to
"info at yesfairelections.org", but I did not receive a reply to an earlier
email, so I don't know if anyone is reading that.

	  Best Wishes,
	  Spencer

########################
        How much to common citizens pay for our current "privately
financed" political campaigns?

        People who think they don't pay anything if they don't
contribute are exceedingly naive.  On May 22, Nancy and Sally said that
the citizens of one state (one of the Carolinas?) got a rebate totaling
$50 million, if my memory is correct, on insurance premiums after the
first insurance commissioner elected by a publicly finance campaign took
office.  That election cost the taxpayers between $2 M and $10 M;  I
can't remember the numbers, but the return on investment from public
financing in that one example was at least $10 for every $1 spent.

        Over the past half century, the price of sugar in the US has
averaged just over double the world price.(a)  Research 20 years ago
indicated that the sugar lobby reaped $3 billion of excess profits from
this on $2.6 million in campaign "contributions".(b)  That's well over
$1,000 for ever $1 invested in political campaigns.  With that kind of
return on investment, it's no small wonder that the inflation in the
cost of political campaigns far exceeds the rate of inflation in the
economy as a whole.  As I mentioned on May 22, this would not work if
the media from which most people get their world view honestly reported
the story.  However, media that accept advertising will not do that for
two reasons:  First, they will lose revenue from the big industries
whose corruption is exposed.  Second, they charge political campaigns
substantially more than standard commercial accounts, and stand to lose
substantial sums on election years if the public ceased to be influenced
by them.

        *** DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET THIS INFORMATION TO NANCY AND
SALLY?  I tried to send an email like this to an address at their web
site but did not get a reply;  they may not have received it.  I think
this makes an incredibly strong case for Prop 15.

        Best Wishes,
        Spencer

(a) US Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service, Tables 3 and
4 (http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/Sugar/data.htm), accessed 2010.05.29.

(b) Philip M. Stern (1992) Still the Best Congress Money Can Buy
(Regnery Gateway).