[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: Please post ASAP!: Information about KPFA layoffs

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 22 18:20:35 PST 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Please post ASAP!: Information about KPFA layoffs
Date: 	Sat, 20 Nov 2010 13:33:21 -0800 (PST)
From: 	Greg Jan <gregjan4 at yahoo.com>
To: 	blkcloud at sonic.net, whastings at earthlink.net,
marnie at greenchange.org, timlaidman at yahoo.com, sanda at greens.org,
jmc at sfgreens.org, erikasf at aol.com, susan_e_vaughan at yahoo.com,
selizabethvaughan at gmail.com, danasg at greens.org, gerrygras at earthlink.net,
bill at iiipublishing.com, civillib at comcast.net, scofield at omsoft.com,
nate136_66 at yahoo.com

Hi Greens!,
You may have heard about the current controversy regarding layoffs at
KPFA / KFCF. Our County Council wanted to make sure that all Greens
interested in the situation heard "the other side of the story", so we
are requesting that you please forward the message below from us (ASAP)
to the various Green listserves and e-mail lists in your county! (Please
reply back to me, or "blind cc" me when you send out your message -- so
I know that you have received this message!).
Thank you!,
Greg
(510-444-7336)
[[ Subject line:
Information about KPFA layoffs ]]

Dear Fellow Greens,

As many of you are probably aware, there is an ongoing controversy about
layoffs at KPFA. The hosts of some of the shows are telling the
listeners to go to KPFAworker.org <http://kpfaworker.org/> to get
information about this crisis. That website, however, is putting out
only one side of the story. In an effort to make sure that Greens know
about the other side of the story too - about alternative opinions that
are not being broadcast on KPFA - we have listed below some sources for
that information.

One site that posts both sides of these issues is:
www.indybay.org/indymedia <http://www.indybay.org/indymedia>

Following are some recent posts that give alternative views to what is
posted on KPFAworker.org.

Repost of Carol Spooner's SF Bay View article, 'What's Happening at KPFA'
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2010/11/15/18664218.php

Respost of Akio Tanaka's Berkeley Daily Planet Commentary, 'It's time
for all of us to truly save KPFA'
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2010/11/12/18664050.php

Tracy Rosenberg's Media Alliance Press Release with Marc Sapir's comments:
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2010/11/09/18663677.php

The existence of KPFA is critical to us all. We urge you to continue to
do what you can to support KPFA financially during this struggle as free
speech can only be truly exercised by those who are fiscally independent.

We must end the power that corporate money has over our lives, our
environment and our elections, and it is corporate free media that is
the pathway to these goals.

Although there is internal strife within the KPFA community, we need to
bridge the divide and all work together to strengthen the station so
that it can continue as a healthy, vibrant, and fertile ground for
information and inquiry, and to empower those who are in a position to
provide all of us with the programming we so depend upon to be the
informed citizens that are the hope of a decent society.

Best regards,

The Green Party of Alameda County