[GPSCC-chat] "Drones create a buzz in Southern California aerospaceindustry"

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 20 13:24:02 PDT 2010

    I have mixed feelings about drones.  We've already seen their potential abused in
terrorism against civilian populations as see-all kill-all invisible agents of sudden death
from the sky.  On the other hand, they have the possibility of making a kind of war by
robot proxy:  there's no point in moving troops around unless you control the skies, so
once the drone battle is settled, fighting on the ground is pointless.  Swarming drones
can make aircraft carriers obsolete--is that a bad thing?

    Some of the collateral damage we've already seen:   computer drone pilots decoupled
and detached from the carnage they wreak on the ground half a world away, and the
greed in industry in this high-tech gold rush.  About a year ago Condi Rice addressed
over a thousand software developers at the SAP confab in San Jose, and when Code Pink
and Progressive Democrats of America stood up and challenged her as a war criminal,
the apparently universal hostility to the demonstrators showed me that the gang of suits
smelled money, big money, in Condi's world of military dominance.