[GPSCC-chat] MH Times Column for 10/1

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu Sep 30 10:57:05 PDT 2010

I had a problem deciding what to think about Morgan Hill mayoral race. I
don't think that I was the only one. The signs posted all over town
don't begin to give us any idea of what the candidates will actually do
when they are elected and the one mailer I have gotten, from Art
College, only reiterates the point that he is not happy with the manner
in which the City has protected our tax dollars.

I did, however, have a means to resolve this for me. Since I write this
column, I decided to ask each of the three to comment on an issue that
is very important to me with the warning that I would use it for this
column. I wrote: "I believe that our response to climate change, or lack
of such a response, is the defining issue of our age.

I want to know: (1) do you agree with that position? If not, then why
not. (2) what do you believe our local community should be doing now in
response? (3) are you willing to provide local public funding in support
of any project you identify in the answer to #2?"

There are many important issues with innumerable advocates demanding our
attention. I focused on climate change because it is the one issue,
other than the use of nuclear weapons, that has the potential to end
civilization as we are living it now. As Co-Chair of the EcoAction
Committee, Green Party US, I spent many hours on this issue, analyzing
all of the reports including those of the climate deniers. To summarize
several years of study, one side of the argument has facts, the other
has a well financed disinformation machine.

Art College's response to the first question was "No, I do not agree
with your position. The science and research done to arrive at you
conclusion was faulty, manipulated and full f errors. I cannot support
junk science and this is truly in that category."

College has clearly not done his homework. The climate denial
disinformation from Sen. Inhofe (R-OK) on the Senate's web site,
published at government expense, are more filled with errors,
distortions and lies than anything written by any climate scientist. It
would seem that College has lost faith in science as an institution,
much as he seems to have no faith in our local government as an
institution. Such a view is not uncommon these days, but will be the
subject of another column. It is, however, not the view that I want my
Mayor to have.

College has been effective independent voice, calling attention to the
failings of our city leaders at times. He should continue speaking out
while he devotes more time to understanding what climate change is
really about and how it will affect us all.

Marby Lee was a bit closer to what I think, but was also unwilling to
deal with the problem. Her response to my first question was: "I believe
that there are many issues affecting our community, and many questions
about the validity of climate change. To call this one issue the
defining issue of our age is to discount all the challenges our
community, state, and country face at this time." Like College, Lee has
voiced doubts about climate change, or at least it's importance. If she
has other issue that she feels are more important, she has not made that
clear to me.

Lee's response to my second question tells me more about her "Morgan
Hill has taken a very proactive environmental agenda, and while I agree
there are some actions that should be taken to keep our environment
clean and safe, I also get concerned when actions in support of this
agenda are a detriment to our economy -- I have mostly seen this in
higher costs to implement such an agenda." This is the pseudo argument
of Prop 23, that we can not afford to do anything about climate change
now while the economy is so bad. This argument, often voiced by the
anti-environment lobby, will never change. It will always be the reason
for doing nothing other than continuing the policies that make the
problem worse. Lee's willingness to condemn us, and our children, to an
unpleasant future for short term gain should not by rewarded by election
to higher office.

Only Steve Tate seemed willing to take effective local action. In
response to my third question, Tate wrote "I believe it is still a high
Council priority, it is definitely for me, but we have to deal with our
financial situation. We do still have Tony, he is still pursuing many of
the programs/strategies on a priority basis, so we have not in any way
abandoned our efforts."

I don't always agree with Tate, but he will have my vote in that he
takes my issue seriously and is willing to work to make effective local
change.