[GPSCC-chat] Aug. 25 Green meeting

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Aug 25 21:46:24 PDT 2011

Please reply to the list with any additions or corrections.  Thanks.
Spencer

On 8/25/2011 10:20 AM, Caroline Yacoub wrote:
> August 25 Green Party Meeting Agenda
> 7:00-7:30 Eating, chatting, one-minute speeches, if any
> 7:30 Selection of facilitator, time keeper, vibes watcher, note taker,
> agenda prepare for next meeting, one minute speakers
> 5 minutes

       Facilitator:  Warner

       Time keeper:  Merriam

       Vibes watcher:  Fred

       Note taker:  Spencer

       Agenda for next meeting:  Drew

       One minute speakers:

> 7:35 Introductions, announcements, agenda adjustments and additions
> 10 minutes

       Warner Blumberg, Carolyn Yacoub, Merriam Kathaleen, Fred
Duperault, Drew Johnson, Gerry Gras, Spencer Graves, Mather White, Jim
Stauffer

Warner:  In September, October or November, we will need to discuss
delegates for the plenary, first weekend in December.

> 7:45 Treasurer's report and hat passing (Jim Doyle)
> 5 minutes

Caroline (from Jim Doyle):  $2,899 (less than last month because we had
to pay rent to SJ Peace Center)

> 7:50 Green Tea Party in Vallejo. Anyone going? Ride sharing? (Warner)
> 2 minutes

       Event this coming Saturday.  no one volunteered to provide
transport.

> 7:52  Look at local redistricting maps to see about possible
> candidates (Warner)
> 10 minutes

       Merriam and Drew will contact people who might run for some
office to see if they might run.

       Cupertino is fighting with Lehigh Cement company.  Cupertino made
the road by there into a private road.  Many people in Cupertino are
angry about this.  This presents an opportunity for the Greens.  Merriam
will bring more information about this for the next meeting.  There is
also an issue that the County Supervisors are not all up for election
next year.

       Jim Stauffer:  There may be an opportunity to lobby for
proportional representation in the City of Santa Clara.  Steve Chessin,
Pres. of Californians for Electoral Reform.  Valerie lives in Santa Clara.

       Drew:  Ray Tobey, San Mateo Green, is a very good campaign
manager for candidates for lower level offices.

> 8:02 Electoral politics (Jim Doyle)
> 5 minutes
> 8:07  Campaign finance reform (Jim Doyle -- couldn't attend;  agenda
> item postponed)
> 5 minutes
> 8:12 Fair and equitable taxation (Jim Doyle)
> 5 minutes
> 8:17 Speakers series. Activists under 25. (Jim Doyle)
> 10 minutes

       Merriam:  A group "Transform" could come in Sept.  Merriam will ask.

> 8:27 Update outreach literature (Jim Doyle)
> 10 minutes

       Gerry:  Do we have enough literature to get us through the next 6
weeks?  If no, we need to do something.  Doyle will try to get 100
copies of the new GPUS paper.

       Warner had the Green Party Printer but it currently does not
work.  Drew will ask Brian about this.

> 8:37 Move To Amend Event (Gerry Gras)
> 15 minutes

       David Cobb, 2004 Green Party Presidential Candidate, will speak
in Palo Alto, Monday, Sept. 12 about the "Move to Amend".  Gerry,
Caroline, Merriam and Fred are organizing.  Can use other help.  Drew
will table.  Spencer will help with security, in case someone tries to
be disruptive.

       Gerry will ask if there had been disruption at earlier events.

       Warner will not attend, because he has a conflict.  Warner does
not understand why Cobb does not yet have draft language for the amendment.

       S. Clara County Greens agreed to endorse the Move to Amend.
Gerry will notify Move to Amend of our decision.

> 8:52 What happened at the Gathering in Ventura last weekend?
> 5 minutes

       Drew attended.  There were about 50 attendees, self selected.
People wrote their concerns on cards.  The issues that got the most
attention had to do with improving the effectiveness of tabling, etc.

       One contentious issue related to LA County.  Apart from that, it
was generally a positive and collaborative time.

       Kendra Gonzales, Ventura County, was the key notetaker.  Further
questions / comments can be directed to her.  There will be a written
summary published at some time.  After that, we can put it on the agenda
for discussion at our meeting.

> 8:57 Cleaning up the Green voter list preparatory to doing a mailing.
> (Caroline)
> 10 minutes

       Caroline and Merriam has done some work to try to contact people
from the list obtained from the Registrar of Voters.  Caroline says that
roughly half have either moved or are no longer Green.  The County
charges ~$700 for a new list.  We need to ask Jim what our options are
for getting a free list or a list with at a relatively low charge.

       Can someone ask Marnie Glickman for information on new names she
has obtained?  Spencer will send Marnie's email to Merriam and Caroline.

> 9:07

Movie night:  Friday, Sept. 9:  Subject:  350.org = climate change,
environment, ... .  Looking for a movie on Green entrepreneurs.  6:30
refreshments.  Movie at 7 PM.   The current issue of Yes Magazine
(yesmagazine.org) has info on Green entrepreneurs.  Caroline and Merriam
would like suggestions for movies.  also:  bravenewfilms.org.

The "-news" list is for one-way announcements is for people who want to
know about announcements but not chatter.

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126