[GPSCC-chat] Move To Amend and the Tea Party

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 28 00:24:40 PDT 2011

I can't provide definitive answers, but ...

Some comments below ...

Spencer Graves wrote:
> Hi, John, et al.:
>

> The Move To Amend web site lists three items, of which only the first
> clearly needs constitutional attention:
>

> * Money is not speech and a corporation is not a person.

Going back 100 or 150 years ago, I would guess that
few would have seen the need for a constitutional
amendment for this issue.

> * Guarantee the right to vote to natural persons, etc.

We have been seeing the disenfranchisement of people in
Florida and Ohio (and other states as well, I think).

> * Protect local communities against illegitimate "preemption" actions by
> global, national, and state governments.

A few cities and towns have passed resolutions to the
effect that corporations are not people and should not
be treated as such, and the corporations have sued saying
that those cities and towns were not allowed to do so.
I don't know the outcome of the suits.

> Can anyone explain to me why the second and third bullets are here? I'm
> with John: Tampering with the latter two of these three could open the
> door to nice sounding changes that could be worse than the problems they
> are attempting to fix -- and could reduce the appeal of a proposed
> amendment making easier for big money to defeat it.
>

> However, I'm confused with John's talk of a constitutional convention:
> Has Move To Amend suggested that? I have not seen that. If it were
> proposed, I think it would be a bad idea.
>

> Spencer

I have not heard anything about a constitutional
convention.  I suggest you all attend David Cobb's talk
in Palo Alto, and ask your questions there.  As I
understand it, 7-8 is for Cobb to talk, partly about
history, partly about other stuff, then 8-9 is for Q & A.

Gerry