[GPSCC-chat] Concerns about Move To Amend

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sat Dec 3 19:35:57 PST 2011

On 12/3/2011 6:36 PM, John Thielking wrote:
> Hello all,
> I enjoyed helping with the Peace Fair table today.  We had a lot of
> people come in towards the end.
> I have one concern however.  A petition was circulated from the Green
> Party table today concerning Move To Amend. The petition was fine,
> except that it had a specific amendment included that signers were
> endorsing when they signed.  I'm not sure that people gathering
> signatures were pointing out all aspects of the proposed amendment.  I
> don't have the exact wording of the amendment on the petition in front
> of me, but as I recall it had the same three points that Move To Amend
> proposed initially, including corporations are not people, money is
> not speech and lastly and of most concern to me a statement to the
> effect that local governments should not have their laws preempted by
> state or national laws or global treaties.  This last point was why I
> specifically asked at the last general meeting that the Santa Clara
> County Greens endorse Move To Amend only in a general way and to not
> endorse any specific amendment. As I understand it this motion was
> agreed to with no blocking objections.  Checking the web site that we
> have on the bumper stickers we were selling
> (http://www.movetoamend.org) I find a brand new proposal for an
> amendment that has not a trace of the original point #3. See
> http://movetoamend.org/amendment . I don't see any place to sign a
> petition to support this version of the amendment.   We should have a
> discussion at the next general meeting (well, the next general
> BUSINESS meeting I suppose, one that is not just a party) about both
> versions of this proposed amendment and have a discussion about how we
> should proceed if we have people at the Green Party table who want to
> have people sign a Move To Amend petition with a specific amendment
> proposal on it.

It was my understanding that we would have an abbreviated meeting Dec.
15, though the main "business" would be a party.  This is certainly a
hot topic and worthy of both formal and informal discussion that evening.

> As a small business owner (sole proprietor) I am concerned that the
> part of the newest proposed amendment that strips corporations of all
> their rights will also strip small business owners of all their
> rights, even though they are often already fully liable for all their
> actions as individuals and are often not hiding behind the fig leaf of
> incorporation. Unincorporated small business owners are people and
> should be protected under the constitution the same as any other
> "person".  The wording of the latest amendment proposal however
> includes the term "Artificial entities", which could include the
> common forms employed by small business owners such as sole
> proprietorships and ficticious business names.  The only right still
> protected if you are acting on behalf of a business is freedom of the
> press. Because businesses are run by people who have to answer the
> door when the state comes knocking, their rights as people who have
> invested time and energy in their own form of free speech (making a
> statement by building a web site or making a product) will likely be
> violated if the business entitiy has no inalienalbe rights against
> unwarranted search and seizure for example.

       I'm not an attorney, but I don't see that:  If you are a sole
proprietor with or without a fictitious business name, the business is
your personal property.  The Fourth amendment says, "The right of the
people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects,
against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated .. ."
There have doubtless been many court decisions that could be cited on
the exact legal definition of "houses, papers, and effects", but note
that it does not say "homes".  I would expect that "houses, papers, and
effects" would include a farmer's barn, a journeyman's tools, and a
shopkeeper's shop and contents.  Of course, we'd have to do further
research to be sure.

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.