[GPSCC-chat] Letter to the Milpitas Post

Rob Means rob.means at electric-bikes.com
Fri Dec 9 09:16:07 PST 2011

Letter to the Milpitas Post

The bad news on the Climate Change crisis just keeps coming. In the same
week that we learn CO2 levels of greenhouse gases worldwide jumped more
last year than any year in recorded history, the climate change
negotiators in Durban fail to agree on meaningful climate change
actions. Already, this year is record-breaking in terms of costs to deal
with weather disasters – which, of course, will continue to grow as the
Earth warms.

Major policy changes are required – and strongly supported by public
opinion – to address our environmental, economic and governance
problems, but changes are being blocked by the 1% (actually the top 0.1%
or 1/1000) and their corporations. We are screwed! But hopeful signs are
appearing.

The Sunnyvale City Council blew off threats from the chemicals industry
by passing a ban on single-use plastic bags. Hopefully, our Council will
soon do the same.

The Occupy Movement has evolved again. Now, they are giving the banks
grief by occupying homes being foreclosed upon. “Put pressure on your
bank by inviting Occupiers to set up an encampment on your property.”
That's the invitation from Occupy My Foreclosure!
http://www.occupymyforeclosure.org/

The biggest challenge to corporate dominance came from Los Angeles.
There, on Dec. 6, “the Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously to
support a resolution calling on Congress to amend the Constitution to
clearly establish that only living persons -- not corporations -- are
endowed with constitutional rights and that money is not the same as
free speech. The vote makes Los Angeles the first major city in the U.S.
to call for an end to all corporate constitutional rights.” -
http://snipurl.com/214mqv8

That last one – corporations are not people and money is not speech – is
a big deal! If we could pass a Constitutional Amendment accomplishing
that, we could probably reverse the decline of the middle class in this
country.

Until then, many other non-violent options for resisting corporate
dominance are waiting for us. For example, join me and many others by
moving your money from one of the monster banks to a credit union.
http://moveyourmoneyproject.org/

--
Rob Means,1421 Yellowstone Ave., Milpitas, CA 95035-6913
408-262-0420h, 408-262-8975w, rob.means at electric-bikes.com