[GPSCC-chat] SOPA and PROTECT IP

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 11:50:10 PST 2011

Drew and Spencer,

Thanks for the links to more information on how corporate personhood is reflected in existing law. However, I have had discussions with other people about this and while most remain nuetral/have no specific comment, my room mate and a woman I met at the WILPF Human Rights Day meeting yesterday both agree with me that opening up the constitution to amendment in this way could result in a constitutional convention where the bill of rights that applies to people is abolished. I have always been against having a constitutional convention for precisely this reason. We, as proponents of the Move To Amend movement, just don't have the resources or collective political will to sustain and win a fight at the level of a constitutional convention. An article located here: http://glynholton.com/2011/10/abolishing-corporate-personhood-be-careful-what-you-ask-for/  suggests two things:

1) The abolition of corporate personhood is already at the top of the agenda at many law schools.  New lawyers are being schooled in the "Nexus Of Contracts" theory.  That is, in the future, corporations will no longer be "persons" in any sense of the word. Under Nexus Of Contracts theory, corporations will have wiped away the last few strings that tie them to any kind of responsibility. Most notably, the shareholders will no longer own the corporation because there is no longer a body of any substance to own. Then the corporations will no longer even be responsible to their shareholders, nevermind the public at large.  This brings to complete fruition the Terms of Use contract nightmare that I discussed in reference to copyright violations in a previous e-mail on this subject. Only now TRON has escaped from the video game world and has his hand around my throat in the real world.  Lawyers seriously think that they can write just any old contract,
 with clauses as insane as "by shopping here you agree that the ashes of your dead cat will become the property of xyz corp" and have that stuff stick.

2) The author suggests a rather complex way to solve this or avoid this emerging trend: rewrite the bill of rights to make clear distinctions between the rights and responsibilities of artificial entities vs natural persons. Again, I have little faith in our ability to carry forward a constitutional convention that will have the bill of rights for humans emerge in a recognizable form.  As the woman at WILPF said, "people in general are anti-liberal".

The only way forward that I can see that won't automatically result in the eventual loss of all of our rights as humans (in comparison to the UBER rights of corporations) is to pass just part 2 and 3 of the proposed amendment and hope that soon after such an amendment is passed the common people gain real traction in electing representatives that truly represent them and that can be held to account in the next election if they don't measure up.   If the vast majority of people who don't currently vote have their faith restored and are willing to work hard to get what they want, then we may be able to get somewhere.

And finally, I found the above article while searching for any statement that Ralph Nader has made about Move To Amend. While the article above claims that Nader supports Move To Amend, I have yet to read what he actually said about it.  Do you have any leads on that?  Thanks.

Sincerely,

John Thielking

PS Move To Amend is having their next meeting on Monday Dec 12 at 6pm (buy your own food) and at 7pm (meeting) in the casita at Casa Vicky's at 17th and Julian in San Jose.  I will be there pushing what I said here, but I will also acknowledge our dissagreements here.  I will also be asking the question "Is there a major donor behind Move To Amend/where is the $ coming from?"