[GPSCC-chat] Fw: There Goes the Republic - Robert Scheer on defense authorization bill

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 17 10:30:43 PST 2011

Thanks for sharing this.

Last night, Occupy San Jose had a march and a candlelight vigil from 6pm-7:30PM to mark the passage of the NDAA.  We marched up the middle of 5th street to the site of the memorial for the Japanese who were interned during WWII. A couple of us were actually Japanese American, with one woman saying that her great grandmother had lived in this same area of San Jose. We wore black armbands, some of which had the names of the internment camps on them.  There were benches in front of the memorial that represented each of the internment camps.  Various people gave speeches about human rights and the violations that have occurred since Sept 11, 2001.  It was pointed out that Muslim men over the age of 16 are required to register with (Homeland Security? I think) and right after Sept 11, 2001 many of these men were promptly arrested and deported to whatever country Homeland Security thought was appropriate, even if they were native born US citizens.  When
 it was my turn to speak, I gave a short speal about how I would like to see us be consistent when we talk about rights, and consider the impact on little people and small businesses when we promote stuff such as Section 1 of the MTA amendment that will take away all rights of artificial entities. I focused on the 4th amendment, and said that I didn't want cops busting into my house looking "only" for my business records and taking everything while they sort out what is business related or not. I pointed out that 99% of artificial entities are small, and that we should be carefull what we actually end up doing when we attempt to go after the big bad corporations that we are so focused on.  There will be a few more simillar memorial marches planned in the coming days.  The organizers were pleased that they got such a healthy turnout (about 25 people) on only 2 days notice.  The SJ Occupy action from earlier in the day (Carolling at Banks Action) was
 shown on the 10PM Ch2 news and they also mentioned the march to Japantown in protest of the passage of the NDAA on the broadcast, though they didn't mention WHY we were concerned.

John Thielking