[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: Re: [occupy-san-jose] Re: February 9: San Jose 2012 State of the City Address

Jim Stauffer jims at greens.org
Thu Dec 29 11:04:00 PST 2011

I would say there's very little movement to implement IRV on the county level.
The county seems to be waiting for one municipality to lead the way.

San Jose, with half the population of the county, would be the best
municipality to push for IRV. In 2009-2010 Californians for Electoral Reform
and the New America Foundation made a major IRV push in San Jose. The city
council is sympathetic/supportive of the idea. But a common response from city
gov't is to wait for someone else to try it first. This is what San Jose did,
deferring any decision until after Oakland and San Leandro implemented their
IRV in 2010 elections. Also, budget problem get in the way since changing to a
new balloting system is expensive, even if the new system saves money in the
long run.

So, on the one hand San Jose is primed for IRV implementation -- a sympathetic
city council and two near-by cities that had relatively good experiences with
IRV. On the other hand, how do we pay for the change-over in a city wracked
with budget deficits?

BTW, a much better source for info on IRV is http://www.fairvote.org/. Also,
the common term used these days is Ranked Choice Voting (RCV), which I think
is a better description than the marketing oriented "IRV."

I have PDFs of IRV flyers if you need anything like that.

Jim