[GPSCC-chat] Depressing thoughts from another blogger.

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Fri Feb 4 22:00:23 PST 2011

One of the bloggers that I follow in David Zeitland whose Aquanomics
<http://www.aguanomics.com/> is widely read and often cited by others.
David Zetland <http://www.blogger.com/profile/11677758798533719965> is a
senior water economist at Wageningen University in the Netherlands and
got his degree from UC Davis and did post-doc work at UC-Berkeley.

I really found this one depressing, since we all know just how much
power, or the reach for power, corrupts our National politicians.
Zeitland posted this
<http://www.aguanomics.com/2011/02/corruption-and-integrity-in-us.html>
about that and then finds that local politics is worse.

__ quoted from the link above __

      Corruption and integrity in US politicians
      <http://www.aguanomics.com/2011/02/corruption-and-integrity-in-us.html>

RD responded to this post
<http://www.aguanomics.com/2011/02/egypt-tunisia-and-yemen.html> with a
few thoughts on what works, and fails, in local politics:

Having work in the US Senate and then for President Reagan, and having
worked at the state level and local levels of government I can tell you
the key is finding candidates who have integrity. Yes there are a few
and too often even they get corrupted by money and power, but there are
still a few.

I have found that if you have integrity and are recognized as an expert
they will treat you with respect.

But never lie or overstate, NEVER or you will lose it all.

I have been successful because I recognized this early. they don't
always like what you tell them, but if they respect you and your
knowledge and insight, they will come back to you for more.

One of the biggest problems I've encountered in politics are those who
hire "yes" men/women only. They want staff to make them feel good and
"protect" them. this is wrong headed management philosophy. you want the
most talented and competent people you can find. Loyalty in politics
usually only runs up, not down.

I've fallen on the spear a couple times. Once it was the wrong decision
and once it was the right one.

If I find a Member has lied to me or not been fully honest with me, they
go on my shit list for life and I quietly work hard to get them out of
office.

Surprisingly, I found politics most corrupt at the local level.

*Bottom Line:* We have to find candidates with integrity, and that is
NOT easy today.