[GPSCC-chat] Rep. Jane Harman Resigns

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 7 22:57:35 PST 2011

   Rep. Harman had the distinction of the being the second-richest congressional representative,
with a personal fortune, according to the Christian Science Monitor, of $160 million.  Her husband
Sidney Harman recently bought Newsweek.

  Rep. Harman came on my radar screen when she introduced HR 1955, the Violent Radicalization
and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007.  According to govtrack.us,  Rep. Zoe
Lofgren was a co-sponsor, and Reps Lee, Farr, Lofgren, Eshoo, Lantos, Honda, and Stark voted
for it.  Rep. Kucinich was one of only six Reps to vote against it.  Widely derided as a "thought crimes
Act", HR 1955 got this reaction from the ACLU: "We need to
worry about the people who are
committing crimes rather than those who harbor
beliefs that the government may consider to be
extreme."

  During hearings on the bill, a screenshot of a web page from AE911Truth.org, a non-profit
educational organization of architects and engineers, was sandwiched between screenshots
from jihadi webshots as an example of web-based terrorist propaganda.  AE911Truth.org now
has 1433 architectural and engineering professionals calling for new investigations into the
destruction of the three WTC towers on 9/11.