[GPSCC-chat] Recycling CDs and DVDs?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Jan 20 13:07:02 PST 2011

       Pardon my ignorance, but what is the threat level of CDs and DVDs?

       I ask, because at the Green party meeting last Monday, people
were discussing a campaign for recycling CDs and DVDs, claiming they
were toxic.  I'm confused.  Googling for "CD dvd toxic" and similar
terms produced nothing that seemed to answer my question.  The closest I
got was
"www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/245/1/DVD-and-CD-Recycling.html",
which said they are plastic with a little aluminum, with trace amounts
of other material.  They seem to me to be far less toxic than a common
button battery or a toy with electrical connections made with lead-based
solder.

       Thanks,
       Spencer

--