[GPSCC-chat] Printer Status

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sat Jul 9 18:07:35 PDT 2011

Good news and bad news:

GOOD:  The official Santa Clara Green Party Printer is now in Warner's
"garage".  It accepts power, and the paper transport seems to work.

BAD:

       1.  So far, I've only been able to produce pages that are
essentially all black.  Cameron suggested I print 20 pages and see if
the problem clears up.  I printed roughly a dozen, and a few shades of
gray seemed to be getting a little lighter.  Then the printer thought
there was a paper jam.  I got it printing black pages again but decided
not to mess with it further.

       2.  Windows 7 on my notebook seemed not to like it.  When I told
it to search for a network printer, it found an HP Color Laserjet 8550.
When I told it I wanted that, it then wanted to install a driver for it,
and gave me a list of options first for manufacturer.  When I selected
HP, it then gave me a further list of options, which seemed NOT to
include a Color Laserjet 8550.  Cameron said that it's a postscript
printers, and selecting any Apple postscript option would work.
However, tfosorciM refused to provide "Apple" and an acceptable
manufacturer for a printer using their operating system.  (What do you
think of them apples?)

CONCLUSION:

       1.  If someone else has a need for it and time to mess with it,
it's possible that it might clear up after printing another dozen or two
test pages.  We laid it on its side to transport it, and it could easily
have gotten toner in inappropriate places.  If it doesn't then I think
it needs to be recycled.

       2.  If someone can get the printer to work on self test, you
still need a computer configured to print to it.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD