[GPSCC-chat] homeless lgbt youth

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 15 17:25:19 PDT 2011

This notice came from The Nation magazine.
I was amazed at the statistic.

Dear Supporter,

This Pride Month, Make it Better for NYC's LGBTQ Homeless Youth

Did you know... that of the nearly 1.7 million homeless youth
in this country, 20% to 40% of them identify as LGBTQ?

Yet just 10% of the general population identifies as LGBTQ. Young people
who
risk "coming out" also risk being rejected by their families, thrown out
onto the
streets where they face the even greater dangers of violence, abuse, and
exploitation.

It doesn't have to be this way. You can *Make it Better*
<http://www.elabs10.com/c.html?rtr=on&s=x8pamj,juor,2fe,j3dp,60h0,5nys,4zi8>
for LGBTQ and other
homeless youth
. Join Safe Horizon to give LGBTQ and other homeless youth a reason to
be proud.
<http://www.elabs10.com/c.html?rtr=on&s=x8pamj,juor,2fe,j3dp,60h0,5nys,4zi8>

At Safe Horizon's Streetwork Program, over 55% of the young people we
help identify
as LGBTQ. That's because we offer safety, services, and a second chance
to have a
future—and we do so without judgment.

Thank you for being proud—and thank you for helping to make it better.

With gratitude,
Jose L. Gonzalez
Director, Streetwork Project
www.safehorizon.org/streetwork