[GPSCC-chat] Food costs keep climbing. Time to think Greens

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Fri Mar 4 12:41:36 PST 2011

I have just submitted my most recent column for the MH Times. It should
run on Tuesday, but you can read it now.

According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, the
cost of food increased in February for the eighth consecutive month and
reached an all time high. You heard a bit of this in the news coverage
of the grassroots protests in Tunisia and Egypt. While not even the
major cause of the unrest, frustration over the cost of food played a part.

I read a comment today on a blog that had posted it's take on this fact.
Someone said “In the U.S., where we spend less than 20% of household
income on food, at least at first, this will have little impact on us.
However, over time it will become more and more of an issue. “

I had to disagree. It is already becoming an issue. Most residents of
this suburbanite enclave might be somewhat immune to the rising costs,
limiting their reactions to a bit of grumbling while loading up at
Safeway or Nob Hill. That would not be the case were you dependent on a
Food Bank for your next meal. They are being forced to purchase a larger
portion of their supplies and these are costing more every month.

It is useful to understand the causes of this unprecedented rise in
prices. I find three of them to be key: extreme weather events, the cost
of fossil fuels and US Energy / Agriculture policy.

We have seen enough of the extreme weather events in the news that some
have begun to write about catastrophe fatigue. Most importantly, the
extreme heat in Russia last year severely damaged their wheat crop.
Russia has stopped exporting wheat. That might not be so bad had we not
had two more extreme events that affect world wide wheat prices. There
is a long lasting drought in the Shandong province of China, their major
wheat production area. This will reduce the 2011 crops and maybe eve
2012 depending on how long the drought lasts... remember that we are
just coming out of a three year drought. Among the other wheat
exporters, Australia is very limited due to droughts in the Southwest
and floods in Queensland.

Without opening up the discussion of whether or not climate change is
human caused, this increase in extreme weather events is to be expected
given the undeniable fact that our weather is warming.

Most of world-wide agriculture is very dependent on factory scale
application of fertilizers, chiefly nitrogen that is derived from
natural gas. That is only one link. Another is the fact that less and
less of our food supply is grown locally, requiring significant fuel use
just to transport it from the field to the table. It is no longer like
the days when I was a student when we ate whatever was available locally
and a mandarin orange was a Christmas stocking treat. The next time you
go shopping, look at the country of origin on the item and think about
the cost of getting that into your shopping cart.

It is a privilege to be able to eat peaches in February and kiwi in
July. We just need to acknowledge that there is a cost for that
privilege and that cost will continue to rise. We are using more fossil
fuel energy every year and finding less new energy reserves. That can
not be good for reducing costs.

Finally, I listed US Energy and Ag policies as one of the causes. At
present, over 10% of the world-wide corn production is consumed to
produce ethanol for fuel. In the US, this is over 30%. This is good the
for big corporate agribusiness which is getting massive governmental
subsidies while it over uses inputs of natural gas derived nitrogen. It
is not good for you and I, but we can't do anything about it. The
politics is such that corn state senators will block any effort to
change either the ethanol requirement or the subsidies for corn.

Come to think of it, our CA Senators favor subsidies for Ag's commodity
crops themselves, just cotton and rice rather than corn.

So what are we to do? My wife and I grow as much of our own food as we
can. We share with neighbors. We joined the California Rare Fruit
Growers to learn more about what we should be doing. I registered Green
as the big parties just don't get it yet. I have joined Transition
California to help us all prepare for the days when the costs of fossil
fuels and the price of food leads us down the same path followed by the
Tunisians and Egyptians.