[GPSCC-chat] [Fwd: [Fwd: Update: Japan nuclear crisis takes turn for worse/take action]]

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Mon Mar 14 16:43:45 PDT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Fwd: Update: Japan nuclear crisis takes turn for worse/take
action]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:30:16 -0700
From: Don Eichelberger <done7777 at sbcglobal.net>
To: GreenIssuesWorkingGroup at yahoogroups.com,
green-issues-wg at cagreens.org,  GPCA Energy
<GPCA-Energy at yahoogroups.com>,  GreenIssuesWorkingGroup at yahoogroups.com,
  SFGP Sus-active <sustainactive at sfgreens.org>
CC: Nancy Pelosi <sf.nancy at mail.house.gov>, Roger <rogerh at energy-net.org>

Friends-

If you take no other action today on behalf of the future of our earth:
please tell your congressional representative NO MORE MONEY TO DEVELOP
NUCLEAR POWER.

Read the following Japan update and report from NIRS and do what you can
to destroy nuclear power before it destroys us.We must act immediately
in the light of now knowing how very quickly a disaster of this
magnitude can come to pass.

MY COMMENTARY- Sadly,we cannot evade acting now on this warning from the
events in Japan.

With all the rest of the concerns that have been raised about nuclear
power, we now see that we must reevaluate the potential role of tsunamis
in the siting and safety of nuclear power reactors, in addition to their
seismic safety.

I have seen both Diablo Canyon Reactor and San Onofre Reactors' majestic
perches before the sea.  Each stands before faults running as little as
two miles off shore capable of producing large quakes and tsunamis at
any moment.

Even if they are not capable of producing tsunamis as gargantuan as
those in Japan, a much smaller one could devastate either reactor. We
saw relatively small waves, after traveling thousands of miles, do
millions of dollars damage to boat harbors in Santa Cruz and the north
coast.

Diablo Canyon is especially vulnerable; Diablo Cove could act like a
funnel, leading directly toward its on-site spent fuel storage ponds.

In addition to calling for an end to our tax dollars being used to
subsidize the building of more nuclear power reactors, we should see
that our Pacific Coast reactors are placed on emergency stand-by for
shut-down, or outright shut down, and evaluated for tsunami potential in
light of what we are learning out of Japan.

May the spirit of the Japanese people stay strong and find healing from
this as they have from past catastrophes. On behalf of them, the
survivors, present victims and future victims of events unfolding, we
urge you to make a voice.

Don Eichelberger
Abalone Alliance Safe Energy Clearinghouse