[GPSCC-chat] [Fwd: [Fwd: Update: Japan nuclear crisis takes turn for worse/take action]]

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Tue Mar 15 17:48:03 PDT 2011

       Nuclear proponents might rebut Cameron's statement by claiming
that WPPSS defaulted because the irrational concerns of
environmentalists drove up their costs unnecessarily.

       Cameron's analysis is strengthened by an understanding of "normal
accidents", also called "system accidents"(a):  In brief, it is humanly
impossible to manage any complex system to ultra-high levels of
reliability, because people learn that the system still functions
without the redundant safety systems.  As a result, the safety systems
are not maintained properly and warnings may be overridden.  If my
memory is correct, engineers overrode warnings at both Three Mile Island
and Chernobyl.  In Fukushima, the backup safety systems failed.  I heard
a nuclear industry representative say that Fukushima was built in 1971,
and more modern facilities have better safety systems.  However, the
documented history of "normal accidents" indicates that the "better
safety systems" in more modern plants may not get the inspection &
maintenance they need to actually function when needed -- like the welds
in PG&E's gas pipeline in San Mateo.  Inspection costs money, etc.

       For me, the record of  "normal accidents" is the key to resolving
this debate -- as Cameron has otherwise eloquently outlined.

       Spencer

(a) Wikipedia, "System Accident"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_accident)