[GPSCC-chat] This Weekend - 9to5 Association of Working Women

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Wed Mar 30 19:57:15 PDT 2011

 Dear Green Friends,

 This is it.  This is the fight of our lifetimes.  Working families are fighting for their lives in Wisconsin, Indiana,Michigan, and Ohio.  This war on workers is being waged by the utterly cynical men who rule over us in the name of "fiscal responsibility" even as they insist on squanderingtrillions of dollars on wars and dangerous money pits like nuclear power.

One of my slogans is "Think Globally, Act Locally."  This war on workers is not being waged on the other side of theworld, but right here.  More than 400Santa Clara County workers continue to face abusive misclassification as "dependent contractors".

Each year, the Bay Area Chapter of 9to5, National Association of Working Women convenes a public leadership conference to highlight changes needed for family friendly workplaces. Click the picture below to view a 6-minute video about issues at our upcoming conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFX_dS0afcs

    What:
    Changing the Workplace, Changing the World
    Leadership Conference

    Welcome:
    Erik Larsen, Service Employees International Union (SEIU)

    Keynote Address:
    Kim Bobo, Executive Director and founder of Chicago’s Interfaith Worker Justice Center

    Special Luncheon Guest:
    Sally Lieber, Former Speaker Pro Tempore California State Assembly

    Presenters:
    Brandy Davis, Labor Project for Working Families
    Peter Woiwode, California Partnership
    Tiffany Crain, Young Workers United

    When and Where:
    2302 Zanker Road, San Jose, CA – Second Floor
    San Jose, CA  95131
    Saturday, April 2, 2011
    8:30 AM

Noted community organizer, author and workers' rights advocate Kim Bobo will address 9to5’s 7th annual leadership conference, "Changing the Workplace, Changing the World", in San Jose. Bobo isExecutive Director and founder of Chicago’s Interfaith Worker Justice Center, the nation’s largestnetwork of people of faith engaging in local and national actions to improve wages, benefits, andconditions for workers, especially those in the Low-wage economy. She is co-author of "Organizing forSocial Change", a widely used manual for organizers, and of "Wage Theft in America: Why Millions ofAmerican Workers are Not Getting Paid and What We Can Do About It."

As I write this, it appears the State of California is headed for, yet another,budget meltdown.  Join us for a day of workshops and discussionsabout how to fight for California's working families.

    More Info:
    408-2066-7992
        http://9to5.org/local/california/RLC

    9to5 Bay Area, National Association of Working Women
2302 Zanker Road
San Jose, CA 95131

I know some of you are already planning to attend and participate. Please support the good work of 9to5.  We really need it now more than ever.

 Truly yours,

Alex Walker