[GPSCC-chat] Robert Newman's History of Oil (LIVE) Friday My 13th, Peace Center 7 PM

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Fri May 6 08:42:41 PDT 2011

   The History of Oil is entertaining, humorous, and eye-opening.

   Newman's view of the origins of WWI in terms of geostrategical conflicts between
the UK and Germany makes much more sense on its face than what we were taught
in school.  Was the Archduke Ferdinand such a Great Man, Newman asks, that his
assassination could set the European powers at each others' throats?

   Newman points out that while railroads and battleships had been running on coal,
emerging military technologies (trucks, tanks, aircraft) required oil.  Oil also allowed
naval blockades to be run much more efficiently because it could be transferred from
tanker to ship on station, while coal-fired ships had to go home to refuel.  The
problem was that neither Britain nor Germany had domestic oil supplies.

   Britain was already exploiting oil deposits in Iran.  Germany was busily constructing
a railroad from Berlin to Baghdad to secure its own oil source, and the Brits not only
wanted to deny them the oil, they also feared that German influence in the Persian
Gulf could help destabilize India.

  It pisses me off that as kids we're all taught that the conflict came from the murder
of some guy in a funny hat.