[GPSCC-chat] Noam Chomsky on Osama

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sat May 7 10:50:51 PDT 2011

I never heard of Guernica Magazine, so I suppose there's some slight chance
it's a hoax.

http://www.guernicamag.com/blog/2652/noam_chomsky_my_reaction_to_os/

   It’s
 increasingly clear that the operation was a planned assassination,
multiply violatingelementary norms of international law. There appears
to have been no attempt to
apprehend the unarmed victim, as presumably
could have been done by 80commandos facing virtually no
opposition—except, they claim, from his wife, wholunged towards them.
In societies that profess some respect for law, suspects are apprehended
 and brought to fair trial. I stress “suspects.” In April 2002, the head
 of the FBI, Robert Mueller, informed the press that after the most intensive
investigation in history, the FBI could say no more than that it “believed” that the plot was hatched in Afghanistan, though implemented in the UAE and
 Germany. What
they only believed in April 2002, they obviously didn’t
know 8 months earlier, when
Washington dismissed tentative offers by the
 Taliban (how serious, we do not know,
because they were instantly
dismissed) to extradite bin Laden if they were presented
with
evidence—which, as we soon learned, Washington didn’t have. Thus Obama
was
simply lying when he said, in his White House statement, that “we
quickly learned that
the 9/11 attacks were carried out by al Qaeda.”

   Nothing serious has been provided since. There is much talk of bin
Laden’s “confession,” but that is rather like my confession that I won
the Boston Marathon. He boasted of
what he regarded as a great
achievement.

There is also much media discussion of Washington’s anger that Pakistan
didn’t turn over bin Laden, though surely elements of the military and
security forces were aware of his presence in Abbottabad. Less is said
about Pakistani anger that the U.S. invaded

their territory to carry out a political assassination. Anti-American
fervor is already very
high in Pakistan, and these events are likely to
exacerbate it. The decision to dump the body at sea is already,
predictably, provoking both anger and skepticism in much of the Muslim
world.

We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos
landed at
George W. Bush’s compound, assassinated him, and dumped his
body in the Atlantic.
 Uncontroversially, his crimes vastly exceed bin
Laden’s, and he is not a “suspect” but
 uncontroversially the “decider”
who gave the orders to commit the “supreme
international crime differing
 only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself
the
accumulated evil of the whole” (quoting the Nuremberg Tribunal) for
which Nazi
criminals were hanged: the hundreds of thousands of deaths,
millions of refugees,
 destruction of much of the country, the bitter
sectarian conflict that has now
spread to the rest of the region.

There’s more to say about [Cuban airline bomber Orlando] Bosch, who just
 died
peacefully in Florida, including reference to the “Bush doctrine”
that societies that
 harbor terrorists are as guilty as the terrorists
themselves and should be treated
 accordingly. No one seemed to notice
that Bush was calling for invasion and
 destruction of the U.S. and murder of its criminal president.

Same with the name, Operation Geronimo. The imperial mentality is so
profound,
throughout western society, that no one can perceive that they
 are glorifying bin
 Laden by identifying him with courageous resistance
against genocidal invaders.
 It’s like naming our murder weapons after
victims of our crimes: Apache,
Tomahawk… It’s as if the Luftwaffe were
to call its fighter planes “Jew” and “Gypsy.”

There is much more to say, but even the most obvious and elementary facts
should provide us with a good deal to think about.

----end of Chomsky statement---

Last fall Dr. Chomsky told Iranian TV that at the time of the attack on Afghanistan,the US had no evidence that al Qaeda had done 9/11.  There's a good 5-minute
video about that here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mprzq1mA9Jk