[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Tell Congress: End Oil Subsidies

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Thu May 12 13:57:36 PDT 2011

--- On Thu, 5/12/11, May Boeve - 350.org <organizers at 350.org> wrote:

From: May Boeve - 350.org <organizers at 350.org>
Subject: Tell Congress: End Oil Subsidies
To: carolineyacoub at att.net
Date: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 12:35 PM

Dear friends,
Let's not sugarcoat it: Big Oil is making a killing in America.
The biggest oil companies are raking in record profits, funding the climate-denial machine, and heating up our planet--all the while collecting more than $4 billion dollars every year in tax credits and subsidies. Just hours ago, the executives of the top five oil companies testified in Congress to support this corporate welfare. One CEO called repealing these tax breaks "un-American." Not only are oil companies gouging us at the pump and treating the atmosphere like an open sewer, but they're digging into our pockets again by buying favors from Members of Congress.
But it doesn't need to be this way--and we now have a unique chance to challenge Big Oil companies and call out the politicians that are defending them. Both President Obama and the Senate are looking at plans to end these giveaways, but Big Oil isn’t going down without a fight. Oil industry lobbyists are working behind the scenes to kill any proposed legislation.
If we let this fight happen behind closed doors, the oil lobbyists will win. That's why next week, 350.org and our allies in DC will put this fight in the spotlight by delivering a huge VOIDED check for $4 Billion to Congress, signed by American Taxpayers. If we can get thousands of signatures on the check, it will help get the attention of Congress and the media, forcing this issue into the spotlight where it belongs.

Will you take 10 seconds to add your name and call for an End to Oil Subsidies?

www.350.org/oil
We’ll take a giant version of the check and your signatures directly to Congress, and make sure your voice is heard.  From our global days of action and our campaign to get solar panels back on the White House, we know that the combination of online action and grassroots organizing can be an effective way to make a political impact. As 350.org expands our work here in the United States, we’ll be continuing to look for key moments like this when we can all work together to make change happen.

Ending oil subsidies would be a big step forward in tackling the “money pollution” that corrupts our political system and makes real climate progress impossible. Getting involved in this fight is an important addition to our work to take on corporate front groups like the US Chamber of Commerce and build momentum for this year’s big public mobilization, September 24’s “Moving Planet” day of action.

(And besides, delivering a huge voided check made out to Big Oil is going to be a ton of fun.)

Sign on today and help us make sure our politicians stand with people, not polluters.

Onwards,

May Boeve, 350.org
P.S. We want to create a massive groundswell against this polluter pay-out--can you share this message on Facebook and Twitter today?

You should join 350.org on Facebook by becoming a fan of our page at facebook.com/350org and follow us on twitter by visiting twitter.com/350

To join our list (maybe a friend forwarded you this e-mail) visit www.350.org/signup

350.org needs your help! To support our work, donate securely online at 350.org/donate

350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries.

What is 350? 350 is the number that leading scientists say is the safe upper limit for carbon dioxide in our atmosphere. Scientists measure carbon dioxide in "parts per million" (ppm), so 350ppm is the number humanity needs to get below as soon as possible to avoid runaway climate change. To get there, we need a different kind of PPM—a "people powered movement" that is made of people like you in every corner of the planet.