[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Stop Deceptive Political Ads? Local CA DISCLOSE Act Meetings

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Thu May 19 18:07:41 PDT 2011

--- On Thu, 5/19/11, California Clean Money Campaign <newsletter at caclean.org> wrote:

From: California Clean Money Campaign <newsletter at caclean.org>
Subject: Stop Deceptive Political Ads? Local CA DISCLOSE Act Meetings
To: carolineyacoub at att.net
Date: Thursday, May 19, 2011, 5:11 PM

You're receiving this email because of your interest in Fair Elections. Please confirm your interest in receiving email and add newsletter at caclean.org to your address book to keep getting occasional alerts.

You may unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive our emails.

Stop Hidden Influence of Big Money with
AB 1148, the California DISCLOSE ACT
Join the California Clean Money Campaign's Santa Clara and San Mateo county working groups to help wage the campaign!

San Jose: Thurs, May 19, 7pm.  2102 Almaden Drive

Palo Alto:  Tues, May 24, 7pm. 505 E Charleston Rd
                    Room 6 (UU Church)

Redwood City:  Wed, May 25, 7pm.  2124 Brewster Ave (UU Church)
The Supreme Court's Citizens United decision unleashed unlimited, anonymous corporate spending on campaigns.  In California, nearly $200 million was spent on November 2010 ballot measures alone, most by corporations hiding behind misleading committees like "Stop Hidden Taxes".  That's why we need to pass AB 1148 (Brownley), the California DISCLOSE Act, to make sure that people know who is really paying for political ads.

As proposed, the California DISCLOSE Act would:
1) Replace current deceptive "Paid for by" disclosures with real disclosure:
· "Stand By Your Ad":  Require top funder of television and radio ads (e.g. the CEO of an organization or a millionaire) to appear and say that they approve of the message.  E.g. Instead of saying "Paid for by Yes on 23, California Jobs Initiative" in fine print, Yes on 23 ads would have said:"I am Bill Klesse, the CEO of Valero Energy Corporation, located in Texas. Valero Energy helped paid for this message and approves it."
· Disclose other major funders in a clear and obvious fashion:

2) Serious new disclosure requirements for slate mailers
· E.g. Require slates to show when independent expenditure groups pay for candidate endorsements.

Tell voters who is really funding propositions and attack ads when it counts! For more info on AB 1148, California DISCLOSE Act and how it will stop hidden influence of Big Money special interests, see our home page:  www.CAclean.org.

Join the California Clean Money Campaign

The California Clean Money Campaign is a non-partisan, non-profit 501(c)3 organization whose vision is to achieve an open and accountable government that is responsive to the needs of all Californians by building statewide support for full disclosure and for public funding of election campaigns.  All our support comes from interested individuals and non-profit foundations, with no funding from corporations or unions.

Forward email

This email was sent to carolineyacoub at att.net by newsletter at caclean.org |
California Clean Money Campaign | 3916 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 109 | Culver City | CA | 90230