[GPSCC-chat] Monthly scheduling

Valerie D. Face vdf at juno.com
Tue May 24 17:50:30 PDT 2011

I would like to see this on Thursday night's agenda, too.  According to Spencer's notes from the last meeting, Drew is doing this month's agenda.

I don't think we should cancel either meeting.  I prefer the idea of moving both of them up a week.  If there is not much business, we could just end the meetings relatively early.  Or we could take the opportunity to do some planning for 2012!

2012 is a big election year.  Because of Prop 14 Green Party candidates for U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives will have to campaign earlier than usual if they're serious about doing well in the open primary.  Depending on how many declared candidates we have for those offices by November and December, we might want to start planning to host events or debates for them.

Right now we also have one candidate for President that I've heard of -- Kent Mesplay.  Presumably we will have more declared candidates by November and December, so by then we might want to be in the process of planning to host a debate.  That is not too early -- event planning takes time, and presidential candidates are very busy, which makes picking a date difficult.  Right now we don't even know if the presidential primary will be in February (like last time) or June (as suggested in AB 80 proposed by Paul Fong).

We could also think about how to mesh campaign events we might do with our regular tabling schedule throughout the year.  We might not know the exact dates of all of the festivals we want to table at, but since most festivals try to stick to the same weekend of the month, we could probably make some educated guesses at when they're happening.  Thus we could agree that we'll avoid booking certain dates for candidate events, but start thinking about campaign events for other dates.

I like the idea of a holiday party, too!  I just don't think it should replace either business meeting.  We could really use a month or two when we tend to have less "regular" business to make ourselves better prepared for the new year.

Respectfully,
Valerie Face