[GPSCC-chat] Some Quick Notes From The Plenary

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Wed May 25 21:53:03 PDT 2011

Again, writing this much later than originally intended  (sigh!)

Here a few comments about occurrences and announcements at the  Berkeley
Plenary April 30th-May 1st:

Among the responses to the "Green 2012" manifesto, the  Delegates affirmed
a need to increase GP voter registration.  As I recall,  there was no
specific budget line for this, so at the moment increasing our  registration will
be a measure of how well (or not) our method (madness?) of  relying on
decentralized volunteer energies actually works.  As a County,  we should discuss
how we might amp up our party registration efforts.   Additionally, the
Delegates seemed to reject the concept of an "Executive  Director" but affirmed
to re-engage Marnie Glickman on a temporary basis as a  contract fundraiser
(notwithstanding her ultimatum from the floor demanding much  more).

The Plenary only approved a six month budget.  That means  there will need
to be another General Assembly of Delegates by the end of  October if only
to deal with the budget for the remainder of the fiscal  year.

There are tentative plans to hold a one day (possibly day and  a half)
strategy meeting in Ventura, CA starting Saturday August 20th.   Format and
agenda to be developed.

The Sunday morning reports on the status of Prop 14 litigation  seems to
point to the need for candidates for 2012 to be recruited immediately,  since
the June 2012 "Primary" needs to be treated like a General Election (as in
Get Started Now!!!).  I'm not aware of any potential State Assembly
candidates from our County.   Anybody know something  different?

Warner