[GPSCC-chat] Minutes: GPSCC General Meeting May 26

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu May 26 22:37:10 PDT 2011

Please send me any corrections or clarifications. Thanks, Spencer

On 5/25/2011 11:59 AM, jamboi wrote:
> Agenda GPSCC General Meeting for May 2011
>
> Choose

> Facilitator:  Jim Doyle

> Note Taker:  Spencer Graves

> Time Keeper:  Merriam.

> Vibes Watcher:  Tian

agenda for next meeting: Valerie

> Introductions&  Announcements&  Pass Donation Hat
> 	10 min:  Jim Stauffer, Shirley Lee,
Cameron, Green Party IT
(Drew help with Green Party web site)
(Gerry Gras)

Perry Spencer.
John T
(Peace & Freedom Party: Preliminary meeting tomorrow noon, MK King
library; Indybay @ Santa Cruz web site.)

Merriam Kathleen: Next Friday: Spanish class for activists. Activities
in Bolivia

Valerie Face: This Week's Metro = Summer Guide

Drew Johnson: Organizing Lavender Greens w. Billy De Frank Center

Tian Harter: Next bike party 3rd Friday of June "1970s ride"

Werner Bloomberg

Jim Doyle, Caroline
Gerr Gras
Fred D.
Sherry Lee

> Review, amendments and approval of April GPSCC General Meeting minutes
> 	5 min

Recommend people reply to the minutes with any corrections.
> Treasurers Report
> 	3 min

$2981.42 balance as of this afternoon according to the bank

> Proposal re. Speaker Development
> 	10 min

Proposed: During Announcements Time have each one make a one minute
speech on a Green Party platform topic or Green Party position on a
current event: Each person give a 1 minute speech about some Green party
something platform or issue or some item that relates to those.

Idea: Develop people for a speaker's bureau. Support for it as a
pre-meeting activity. However, we need to manage the time. Also,
feedback is required for this to actually serve any training purpose.
Maybe give people a week's notice, so they can plan for it.

It seems we have a consensus that ~3 people know a week in advance that
they will have 1-2 minutes each for the 7 - 7:30 time frame that they
speak on issues relative to the Green party. And we need formal
critiques focused on presentation style.

Jim Doyle will work on getting speakers for the next time.

> Report on Regional Meeting @ Plenary
> 	10 min
> Regional Rep
>          15 min
> 	Confirm San Mateo’s vote for Regional Rep: Put off @ April Meeting for
> Regional Meeting, but there was no resolution at Regional Meeting

Last Sunday Noon in Berkeley, there was an impasse at the regional meeting.

Proposed: Werner as regional rep, Cindy as Alternate Effective when Jim
Stauffer no longer resides locally.

The last elections took place ~Dec. 2009. Jim was elected to serve 2 years.

Various people wondered if Cindy would actually have time for this. It
was suggested that she had previously accepted a similar responsibility,
then failed to find time for it.

Drew has an outstanding concern that there be no fixed limit. Jim
currently plans to leave before the end of June, but he may not.

Vote: 10 for; 1 no, 1 abstain.

Werner will communication this to San Mateo.

Report from Berkeley GPCA General Assembly / Plenary
	20 min

**** Marnie Glueckman (sp) controversy: Was working on fundraising for 3
months. Raised $7K in the past 3 months, paid $40/hour. Marnie wanted a
paid position.

The group supported Marnie for fund raising and voter registration ...
but NOT with her in charge of other things, which she had requested. The
CC is negotiating a contract with her. There is some concern that the
contract might include provisions that may not have been approved by the
group.

On June 6, there will be a further discussion of the revised contract.
Another meeting scheduled for early June. There were concerns that
polarization and controversy follow Marnie, and her view of the Green
party may not conform to the 10 key values, etc.

Apart from this, we need to increase our registration as a fall-out from
Prop. 14. Also, do we have any possibility of fielding a congressional
candidate for this year?

Also, Aug. 20 = whole day meeting. Werner will report more to the group
in the future.

> Report from Warner re: Proposal San Jose 2012 USGP Annual National Meeting
> 	10 min

Werner attended the GPUS ____ meeting. The reception of the idea of
having the GPUS national meeting in San Jose was negatively received.
Moreover Werner had not received a reply from SJSU. Next year's national
meeting will likely be on the east coast. Let's not try to bring the
GPUS national meeting here for next year. Maybe for 2012. Let's spend
that energy on other things.

Report from Berryessa: Werner, Caroline, Jim Stauffer, Cameron & Susan:
Problem holding down the canopy in a 30 mph wind. Werner and Caroline
raised the canopy with the help of ~5 ~high schoolers. & they all got a
free button.

Werner proposes we buy a pop-up canopy from the county funds that can be
assembled by one person. Tian can shop for one but can't buy it. 8' x 8'
or 10' x 10' that scissors out and telescopes up EZup. Sherry will look.
Canopy should be green. Should be sturdy. Treasurer authorized to pay
for one up to $200.

> Distribution of the stuff

Drew will go to Caroline and help her pack the stuff up and take it to
Werner's house.

> &  tabling for Juneteenth

Juneteenth = Sa, Su, June 18 & 19. Merriam & Tian + Drew + Werner. Need
more.

Tapestry Arts: Saturday & Sunday of labor day weekend at History Park.

> Pride Festival in August

There will be Gay Pride parade in SF in June. Drew will coordinate if
someone else wants to go there with him.

Drew will participate in Aug. 20 & 21 Pride Festival in San Jose.

> Designate ballot entry person for GPSCC for Coordinating Committee
> At-Large Reps election
> 5 min

Stauffer said the candidates will be on line. Was scheduled to open this
coming Monday, stays open for a month, We cast 4 ballots. Two elections
for 1 year and for 2-year election. This must be on the agenda for next
month's meeting.

> Movie Night (results of last one, and future)
> 	5 min

John: Last month: Tian's Newman's History of Oil. Thanks to the
volunteers. The movie drew 2 new people beyond the regulars.

John: Report back on a recent Diablo Canyon. Movie: "A Question of
Power" (1 hour) on the construction of the Diablo Canyon power plant.
Friday, June 10. Drew would like to speak of his visit to Belarus
witnessing the fallout from Chernobyl.

"Battle of Chernobyl" film = propaganda but apparently good.

> Food For Thought: Egypt Talk
> 	5 min
>
> Scheduling November/December Meetings
> 	5 min
>
> Proposal:  Add GPSCC to supporters list SB 810: CA Universal Healthcare
> 	5 min

Our county rep can send an email confirming that this is consistent with
our platform and key values.

Jim Stauffer will contact the state to try to get them to write a letter
in support of this. Jim Doyle will do something similar for the local.

Local Heath Care for All group.

Campaign for outreach (Merriam), Michael Parenti results (Merriam) ->
not enough time.