[GPSCC-chat] Memorial Day speech by Pete McCloskey

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Mon May 30 08:52:49 PDT 2011

The following it the final draft of the Memorial Day speech that Pete
McCloskey is to give at the Golden Gate National Cemetery today.
McCloskey was a company commander and silver star winner from the Korean
War.  He was also the first (and possibly only) major Republican to
challenge Nixon on the conduct of the war.

_____
Memorial Day, 2011

For over 145 years, we have set aside a day at the end of May to honor
our nation's war dead.   It is a sacred day.  We pause for a brief
moment to look out over the white crosses, and honor those young men who
lie beneath them. War is the work of young men, not old.   It has been
thus since the greatest and most tragic of our wars, the Civil War.
Most of those buried here served when one of the nation's values was
that it was a duty to serve the country.

150 years ago this spring, our nation broke apart.   Eleven states
seceded from the Union, believing that the Constitution, as they read
it, entitled them to do so.  Young men died on both sides, one believing
that it was right to preserve the Union, the other believing with equal
sincerity that the North had no right to change the way of life and
values of those in the South.

Of a new nation of some 32 million people, over 700,000 died in combat,
or in prison camps.   No war since has matched that sacrifice.

By World War II , our population had quadrupled to over 130 million, but
we suffered only slightly over 400,000 deaths.  In Korea, some 36,000
died, and in Viet Nam, with our population now over 160 million, 56,000
died.  Most of those buried here died in those three wars.

But since, in a series of small conflicts, in Grenada, Panama, Lebanon,
Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan,  less than 12,000 have died.   Since
1971, we have had an entirely volunteer Army.  In nation of over 300,000
million people, less than one per cent of our families have sons or
daughters at risk.

Significantly, during the eight years of the Viet Nam War authorized by
our Congress in the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, no sons of Members of
Congress or Presidents fought there.

And while we honor the dead, perhaps this Memorial Day, we should stop
and consider the hope expressed by Abraham Lincoln at the Gettysburg
battlefield that "these "honored dead shall not have died in vain."   We
might well stop and consider  the disconnect mentioned by Secretary of
Defense Gates the other day about the world's most powerful and
prosperous nation fighting its wars with only a fraction of its
citizenry bearing the burden.

Perhaps we should reconsider that ethic of a national duty to serve
shared by the young men who lie underneath these crosses.......perhaps
some sort of national service where the children of the privileged and
wealthy also serve, where the perils of combat are shared by young men
and women of means and education.

And today, we should perhaps honor the most the few young soldiers,
largely from rural or impoverished areas, who have died in Iraq and
Afghanistan, or been maimed for life by the most terrible of modern
guerrilla weapons, the improvised explosive device or I.E.D.

For we ourselves make war with terror-inducing weapons.  No longer do we
fight with rifles, grenades and bayonets, as did most of the young men
lying here in these beautiful rolling hills.

We now fight with weapons of "shock and awe," the blockbuster bomb, or
guided missile delivered by an unmanned drone directed by people in
air-conditioned buildings here in the United States.  The so-called
"collateral damage" when these weapons suddenly land without warning in
a village in the Muslim World  virtually guarantees the continuing
hostility of their inhabitants and sympathizers around the world.

I can recall only one instance where this war by massive air power had a
favorable result, that being the overwhelming bombardment in Serbia
which effectively halted a cruel genocide, and led to the trial of the
murderous generals before the World Court at The Hague.

Of late, we have turned away from the concept of world peace through
world law for which we fought in World War II.  We have abandoned the
principles of Nuremberg and Geneva which we led the world to adopt.

There could be no better time than Memorial Day to spend a few moments
in quiet consideration of where and when we loose the dogs of war.   The
time draws near when our enemies will possess that most terrible of
weapons we introduced to end World War II.

Last week, our Congress gave thunderous approval to the idea of going to
war against Iran to prevent their acquisition of atomic weapons.   At
the same time the Congress gave similar applause to the Prime Minister
of a country which has refused to sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
Treaty, but is known to possess over l00 nuclear warheads.

A famous Marine General and former National Security Advisor has
suggested that the evolving aspirations of people in North Africa and
the Mideast  gives us the opportunity to reach out to those people and
presumably aid in overthrowing their leaders.  In the past we have
overthrown the elected leaders of countries with whom we disagreed,
Mossadeq in Iran and Allende in Chile, example.  The end results have
not been fortuitous.

When and how will this all end?  I wonder if the dead we honor today
were alive, might they not echo of one of this continent's most famous
warriors, Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce, who, with his young men having
mostly died in battle, and with Canada in sight, surrendered his forces,
saying "I will fight no more, forever."

We will of course fight, but I think it well also to consider the advice
Abraham Lincoln gave us at Gettysburg:   "It is for us the living,
rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they have, thus
far, so nobly carried on.  It is rather for us to be here dedicated to
the great task remaining before us- that from these honored dead we take
increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full
measure of devotion."

150 years ago, that cause was the preservation of the Union.    Today,
it may be the preservation of the concept of World Peace Through World
Law, as it was in 1945.