[GPSCC-chat] What do we owe Occupy?

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 2 23:27:01 PDT 2011

It has now been one and a half months since OWS
occupied Zuccotti Park.

Until today, it seemed the only effect on the federal
government was to get the Democratic Progressive
Caucus and the Democratic Black Congress to make
statements of support for Occupy Wall Street.

But today six Senators introduced a constitutional
amendment to reverse Citizens United.  Somehow I
don't think that it is a coincidence that this
happened so soon after OWS occupied Zuccotti Park.

Quite a few protestors, in New York and elsewhere
have endured many kinds of hardship, including
beatings, pepper spray, tear gas, and hypothermia.

And as a result, the United States conversation
has changed.

So what do we owe OWS, (and OO and OSJ ...)?

Is it enough to just say we support Occupy?  Is it
enough to hold signs (or wave a flag) at a
demonstration?  Or should we do more?

More later.

Gerry