[GPSCC-chat] Agenda Item for 11/17: Proposal to endorse SAFE California Act

Valerie D. Face vdf at juno.com
Fri Nov 11 18:46:34 PST 2011

Hi everyone,

I would like 5 minutes at our meeting on November 17 for a proposal that the Green Party of Santa Clara County endorse the SAFE California Act.

SAFE stands for Savings Accountability Full Enforcement.  The initiative would replace California's death penalty with life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

The very simple endorsement form is attached.  I have couple of fact sheets (about the death penalty and about the SAFE California campaign), too, but including them would exceed the message size limit for this list.  Let me know if you'd like me to send them to you directly.  They are in PDF format.

Signature gathering for this initiative is underway.  I encourage anyone who's interested in gathering signatures or donating to the campaign to go to:
http://www.safecalifornia.org/

The California Secretary of State's website has the rules for signature gathering, summary and full text of the initiative at:
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ccrov/pdf/2011/october/11094km.pdf

Here's the summary.

The Attorney General of California has prepared the following title and summary of the chief purpose and points of the proposed measure: DEATH PENALTY REPEAL.  INITIATIVE STATUTE.  Repeals death penalty as maximum punishment for persons found guilty of murder and replaces it with life imprisonment without possibility of parole.  Applies retroactively to persons already sentenced to death.  Requires persons found guilty of murder to work while in prison, with their wages to be applied to any victim restitution fines or orders against them.  Creates $100 million fund to be distributed to law enforcement agencies to help solve more homicide and rape cases.  Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: Net savings to the state and counties that could amount to the high tens of millions of dollars annually on a statewide basis due to the elimination of the death penalty.  One-time state costs totaling $100 million from 2012-13 through 2015-16 to provide funding to local law enforcement agencies.  (11-0035.)

Respectfully,
Valerie Face

Penny Stock Jumping 3000%
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4ebdde658e42f1004782st03vuc