[GPSCC-chat] Local Environmental Story well told

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Oct 4 09:11:34 PDT 2011

I received this in my email yesterday.  Kate Woods was a writer for the
Hollister based Pinnacle.  I became acquainted during the effort to
unseat Richard Pombo where she, and her writing, were a valuable ally.
She was also a sharp pain to the "in the pockets of the developers"
members of the San Benito County Board of Supervisors.  The book that
Kate is announcing is based, at least in part, on her columns in the
Pinnacle.

The current new is that the EPA has finally put the New Idria mine on
its project list and allocated funding to start the cleanup of the New
Idria mercury mine... or at least to plan the cleanup.  At the same
time, Republicans (note the references to Cheney in the announcement
from Kate) are working to block all regulations and to defund the EPA.
This is local and important to CA.

Background: Kate and her family (especially her brother) had claimed and
were working to recover the official California gemstone, Benitoite
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benitoite>, from the area.  However, they
were working in a much more environmentally concerned manner.

I pass this on a locally newsworthy.