[GPSCC-chat] Third-World Computers

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 10:17:20 PDT 2011

India is expected to buy 8 million to 10 million $50 Aakash tablet computers in the next six months.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/241156/indias_lowcost_tablet_is_made_by_canadas_datawind.html

The concept of a computer for illiterates has excited me for a long time, and I think such a
machine has great potential to help people around the world to teach themselves to read.
According to a 2008 BBC article, only 15% of Indians go to high school and only 7% graduate.

Locally, Palo Alto's own Cherrypal has been known to have offered a $100 tablet, but the
company website is down at the moment and apparently many customers have been dissatisfied.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372225,00.asp#fbid=MqVmWTFEpxD