[GPSCC-chat] Open Primary

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:04:09 PDT 2011

   Palo Alto Daily Post publisher Dave Price's Op-Ed yesterday offered strategy tips to
potential primary challengers to Anna Eshoo, saying that TV ads might make hay with
the fact that "she had voted for the Wall Street bailout and a stimulus bill that allowed
AIG Executives to get huge bonuses," and that she'd "later explained that she hadn't
read the part of the bill that included the bonuses."

   Price points out that a Democratic primary challenger to Eshoo need not beat her in
the primary to go on to the general election--it's enough just to beat the Republican,
the Libertarian, and the Green (if any).  One effect of the open primary I hadn't before
considered is that it might tend to do away with the usual inhibition to primary challenges
to incumbents--the notion that they're bad for party unity.  I would imagine that the
prospect of a Democrat v. Democrat race in November would be seen as a no-lose deal
by the party, so we might see a lot more informational or exploratory primary campaigns
done by Democrats in the future.

   Price's column struck a chord with Srinivasan Subramanian, whose LTTE this morning
expressed the wish for a challenger "who can think independently, and not succumb
to party cronyism and corruption."