[GPSCC-chat] Minutes of the GPSCC General Meeting on October 27, 2011

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 11:23:55 PDT 2011

Hey Y'all,

I did a little research to see if I could confirm the tidbit that I told the group about free higher education in one of the former Soviet Bloc countries that I witnessed a visitor from one of those countries talking about on the live stream of the Human Rights Conference that happened in SF on Oct 25th and 26th 2011 (https://www.rightscon.org).  It seems that there are a few former Soviet Bloc countries that offer free higher education, but there is no documentation to back up the assertion that one (probably Kazakhstan, which is the closest match) provides BOTH free higher education TO ALL at home and provides free higher education abroad. Kazakhstan provides free scholarships at home and abroad to selected students. Maybe the guy who was blabbing about this at rightscon.org was one of the select few who qualified. See below for my complete summary on the situation.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

John Thielking

Capitalism has destroyed education in ex-Soviet bloc countries
http://www.pslweb.org/liberationnews/news/07-10-02-capitalism-has-destroyed-educati.html

Some higher education is free in Kazakhstan
"Citizens compete for socialized institutions of higher learning."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Kazakhstan

In Kazakhstan as of 2006 higher education was financed by grants and loans
"Students are assigned financial aid in the form of
state grants or loans based on their scores,
and state-owned universities then accept students."
http://www.gfme.org/global_guide/pdf/331-334%20Kazakhstan.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazakhstan#Education
The Ministry of Education of Kazakhstan runs a highly successfull
 Bolashak scholarship, which is annually awarded to about five thousand
 applicants of Kazakhstan citizens. The scholarship funds their
education and all living expenses abroad as well as
transportation expenses once in a year from home to a
 university and back home.

Free higher education continues to be offered in Kyrgyzstan
http://www.country-studies.com/kyrgyzstan/education.html

Higher Education is free in the Czech Republic
http://www.ncee.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Czech-Education-System.pdf

Higher Education no longer free in Tajikistan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Tajikistan

Higher education in Turkmenistan no longer free as of 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Turkmenistan