[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: Please forward!: "Why You Should Join the Wed., Nov. 2, Oakland General Strike"

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 31 01:12:19 PDT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Please forward!: "Why You Should Join the Wed., Nov. 2,
Oakland General Strike"
Date: 	Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:56:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: 	Greg Jan

Please post the info below to e-mail lists, listserves, FaceBook pages,
etc.!: (Whether they are "Greens", or not!). Thanks!

Why You Should Join the Wednesday, November 2, Oakland General Strike

You may have heard about this Wednesday's General Strike, with mass
gatherings to be held at 9am, 12 noon, and 5pm -- at 14th and Broadway
in downtown Oakland. The call for a general strike is not surprising
given that an overwhelming majority of Americans believe banks and major
corporations have too much power, support amending the U.S. constitution
to affirm that corporations don’t have the same rights as people, and
believe corporations have more control of our political system than
average citizens do.

For the past three decades the wealthiest 1% and their corporations have
been taking an ever-increasing share of the income we produce, leaving
the vast majority of us to make do with ever-smaller crumbs to survive
on. Now is the time to take a stand and declare that we absolutely will
not permit these outrages to continue.

This coming Wednesday, November 2, those in the greater Oakland area
will have a chance to make an extremely powerful statement by
participating in the Oakland General Strike. We will be using one of the
most powerful tools available to */we the people/* -- but a tool which
has not actually been exercised in this country for over 60 years, since
we last used it here in Oakland, in 1946.

The Occupy Wall Street movement and Occupy Oakland have now presented
each of us with a vital moral choice: Do we participate in the Oakland
General Strike and help shift the direction of this country? Or do we
allow giant corporations and the ultra-wealthy ever more free license to
plunder the resources and wealth of this nation, and of our world?

This is how you can participate in the strike:
* Do not go to work
* Do not go to school
* Or at least, do everything you can to minimize those activities.
* Do not patronize any banks or other corporations on Wednesday.

Instead go to 14th and Broadway in downtown Oakland (near the 12th St.
BART station) -- especially for the Wednesday mass gatherings at 9am, 12
noon, and 5pm.

Everyone is encouraged to participate in the Oakland General Strike,
regardless of where you live. For more details, please see:
http://www.OccupyOakland.org <http://www.occupyoakland.org/>

If we now join together, we shall not fail with the great task before us.

If you can, please forward this message to friends, e-mail lists,
listserves, FaceBook pages, etc.