[GPSCC-chat] GPSCC General Meeting on September 22, 2011 minutes

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Sep 22 22:08:46 PDT 2011

Please send additions and corrections to this list.  Thanks.  Spencer

On 9/21/2011 10:43 PM, Valerie D. Face wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Here are all of the agenda items that were posted to the list by 7:30 PM today (minus the Nov/Dec meeting date item; Jim Doyle emailed me privately yesterday saying that we could delete that one).
>
> This is just a draft.  We will revise and affirm the agenda at the meeting, so be prepared to make suggestions then.  It would be a good idea to post them to this list, too, for transparency's sake.
>

> === Draft Agenda for GPSCC General Meeting on September 22, 2011 ===
>
> Location:  San Jose Peace&  Justice Center, 48 S 7th St, San Jose
>
> 6:30 PM  Informal social time: eat, chat, etc.
>
> 7:00 PM  Formal social time: practice one-minute speeches, eat, chat, etc.
>
> 7:30 PM  Begin meeting
>
> *  Choose facilitator, note taker, timekeeper, vibes watcher, October agenda preparer
>         2 min

       Facilitator:  Tian

       Notetaker:  Spencer

       Timekeeper:  Merriam

       Vibes Watcher:  Fred

       Oct. agenda preparer:  Valerie

> *  Introductions and short announcements
>         10 min

       Guy Lambert:  San Jose City College.  undeclared.  building
bridges, getting people to work together.

       Valerie Face:

        Merriam

       Jim Stauffer

       John T.

       Jim Doyle:  Next Thursday night, DeBug & NAACP is hosting an
event at the Si Valley DeBug.  Benton Harbor, MI will speak.  ~7 PM.

       Fred D.

       Tian H.

> *  Revise and affirm agenda
>         4 min
>
> *  Treasurer's report, pass the hat
>         4 min, Jim Doyle

<$3,000 balance (~ $2,800).

       Merriam:  We need to order a tile for 25th anniversary of Collins
House.

       Movie night:  Friday, Oct. 14:  Jim Stauffer suggested "The Yes
Men".  They created gatt.org.  Need help with food, etc.

> *  Selection of one minute speeches speakers for October
>         3 min, Jim Doyle/group

       Merriam & Tian & John T.

> *  Making selection of one minute speakers a fixed part of the agenda
>         3 min, Jim Doyle/group

       Should add this to the standard agenda when selecting facilitator
with Movie Night.  Accepted.

       Masao Suzuki is the leader of the South Bay Committee on
Political Repression would like to speak to this group about that
including Carlos Montes.  10 minute talk, 5 minute Q&A, total 15
minutes.  7:30 - 7:45 next time.  (next Tuesday, here at the Peace
Center, 7:30 PM = next meeting on this.)

> *  Putting Youtube videos of one minute speeches on our website
>         5 min, Jim Doyle and Spencer Graves

       Jim:  Q:  Is that a good idea?  Is that something the one-minute
speakers would like to do?

       Spencer & Guy will meet with Shelby on what it takes to create
the video.

> *  Resolution of PO Box mail pickup
>         3 min, Gerry Gras (submitted by Jim Doyle)

       Post Office reviewed what was on file and found that we were out
of date.  Gerry's name is on the box.  Tian is picking up the mail.  No
action required.

> *  Report on Move to Amend event
>         10 min, Gerry Gras and Spencer Graves

       We had a coalition of ~ 105 people.  Peninsula & SJ Peace &
Justice Center, various other groups.  "Disclose Act" group.  The next
day in San Jose, 45 people attended a luncheon organized by Richard
Hobbs.  We have a DVD of David Cobb's talk.

             *** --- >>> Next meeting of Richard Hobbs' group:  Oct. 4,
11:30 - 2:30 here at the Peace Center.

> *  Follow up actions on Move to Amend
>         10 min, Jim Doyle/group
>
> *  Focus on electoral politics
>         5 min, Jim Doyle

       Get Greens running for local "non-partisan" offices, commissions,
school boards water district boards, etc.

       Merriam & Caroline has talking about doing something to build a
movement, e.g., talking with Laura Wells to make a presentation about a
state bank.  However, we don't have an adequate infrastructure to
support a candidacy.

       Jim Stauffer:  The next excuse:  We don't have a dime to spend on
this.  We need public pressure, lobbying council members, etc.  Steve
Chessin (sp.), President of Californians for Electoral Reform.

> *  Updating outreach literature committee
>         5 min, Jim Doyle

       Jim has themes:  "Cut your losses", as in get out of the
Democratic party & register Greens.  In the past, we've sent out
newsletters.  Merriam:  We have too much to put on the table.  We need
to cut it to ~ 5 things.  (1) 10 key values, (2) Donkey flier.  (3) ...
??? Valerie would be willing to work on a committee for this.  Jim:  If
we have a rack with position papers.  Tian wants one saying, "Run for
office".

> *  Guest speakers series - activists under 25
>         10 min, Jim Doyle

      e.g. Silicon Valley DeBug, Californians for Justice, Vegilution,
Students for Justice and Californians for Justice, Si. Valley Committee
Against Secure Communities (SJSU:  Campus groups have mail boxes)

        Proposed:  We invite young adults from different groups speak,
10 minutes + 5 minute discussion at the start of each meeting.

       Alternative:  A Food for Thought event.

       How about 4 times a year:  an open discussion meeting, invite one
or two other groups.

       *** California Greens Web Site:  (John:  How does Drupal load
onto a cell phone?)  This will be a topic at the next General Assembly
in December.  We need to attend.  Warner may be able to provide
information on this.  We should talk with Warner about this.  Preview
the new web site.

       *** Merriam, Tian, Jim D., Jim S., Cameron and Spencer should
contact Warner.  The County Council can send a letter depending on what
Warner says.  Tian will start by interviewing Warner and Cameron.