[GPSCC-chat] Great DVD - Studs Terkel

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Wed Sep 28 15:17:14 PDT 2011

One of my childhood memories was listening to Studs Terkel on the
radio.  Every Sunday, as church let out and my parents lined up to shake
hands with the minister, I would grab my Dad's car keys and race to the
car to turn on the radio and get my education in the folk music of the
world.  This was in the very early 1950's.  Studs introduced me to the
Weavers, Woodie Guthrie, Jean Redpath, John Jacob Niles, Leadbelly,
Mehalia Jackson and many more.

The Santa Clara County Library has 2 copies of an HBO Documentary, Studs
Terkel: Listening to America. (41 min)  I just finished watching it and
highly recommend it to all.   He was unique, a one of a kind journalist
and historian and the documentary captures for all.  The copies are
available in Morgan Hill and Milpitas but can be gotten at any branch
just by requesting.

His was a standard of truth seeking curiosity that, for all the programs
with have today, we just don't see / hear.   I recently passed on my
copies of Hard Times and Division Street because other should have the
opportunity to find what he discovered about us as Americans.

Terkel passed away on Oct. 31, 2008 at the age of 96.