[GPSCC-chat] Mercury 'Reporting'

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:26:53 PDT 2012

I rarely bother with the Mercury though it's delivered every day, and its performance
this week with headlines milking the Oakland Shootings for every teardrop reminds
me why.  That's a "Dog Bites Man", story, hardly news--and it's emotional pornography,
serving only a sick appetite for safe vicarious grief.  It's too bad our reporters don't
have the guts to interview the victims of Obama's war crimes so his enablers can
recognize some of the pain for which they are responsible.

The lead story today--about deliberate efforts to inflict injuries in pro football--is
news, but its presentation is hardly journalistic.  I can't remember ever before \
seeing a news article loaded with rhetorical questions:

"Is football not a form of hand-to-hand combat?  Does it not purposefully test
toughness and push the limits of pain?  Are actual body parts not sacrificed or
compromised?"

When I was coming up, I was taught that editorials on the front page are the sure
sign of a propaganda rag.  The Mercury was once a fairly respectable newspaper.
Times sure have changed.